Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Staff DBS

Hi

I know I should know this, but I'm having a rough time at the moment and my brain is mush, so I know you lovely people will help...!

I have a lady I want to take on as bank staff. She has a DBS as she helps out at her child's school. Do I need to get her a new one done for us? She looked clueless when I asked if she was signed up to the update service, so I'm guessing she's not.

Thank you :1b

I don't think you do if it is less than a year old??? I thought that the point of dbs is that they are portable???? Maybe check with the school secretary or LA whether they insist all staff/volunteers sign up for the update service when applying for dbs.

I don't think you do if it is less than a year old??? I thought that the point of dbs is that they are portable???? Maybe check with the school secretary or LA whether they insist all staff/volunteers sign up for the update service when applying for dbs.

There isn't much point to a DBS at all really. The information on it could change the day after it's done and no-one may know! :rolleyes:

I had a query on this today and spoke to both Capita and the DBS service.

If you Google DBS service and follow the page down to employers it gives you a link (which wouldn't open today as the entire dbs site was off line)

If the person has signed up to the update service you need their certificate number, date of birth and surname and their permission to check.

This can be for committee members as well as staff but it is dependent on the update service being done within those 19 days of certificate issue.

Once the DBS site is working properly I'll try it and see if it works!

I was under the impression that the new DBS now belonged to the employee or a person and they could take this anywhere they go. So like mentioned just the details would be required for a company employing or utilizing this "checked" person.

Also the yearly update in my opinion is just "good practice" and it is recommended that it is rechecked every 3 years.. but even this isn't mandatory and a DBS is still valid for a while. I suppose as long as you keep asking staff and reminding staff they must "confess" to any certain convictions or associations with a person who is convicted then the DBS is less likely to be required as often. Still after saying all this, it would be best to make sure staff are updating yearly for "best practice" :P

Update on the DBS check site, it will only work with Internet Explorer and returns a site not found error with Chrome and Firefox.

It is still dependent on the person you are checking being signed up to the update service.

We use an annual disclosure form for staff and committee members that goes out with the salary review letters each July to be returned on first day back in September for staff and gets filled in at AGM by committee who have been re-elected.