Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lev 3 Qualifications...

Hi all...need some advice....a member of my staff started her lev 3 childcare

course..Sep 2013....and she has had difficulty passing her Eng and Maths GCSE....

she left to have her baby May 2015....now on Maternity leave.....today she text my manager to say she is giving up on her lev 3 and has found a lev 4 course online.....totally confused...I had found somewhere that her lev 3 course would not require the gcse's because of when she started.....but our assessor was checking it out for me after her last visit to another staff member in September.....have the

details at Nursery,but am sure she does not have to get them ....can anyone

confirm....or even if it possible she can skip lev 3 to do her lev 4 ???

Our latest Level 3 trainee (just finished) started in 2014, and has had to complete her basic skills (not GSCEs) before receiving her Certificate. This could be because she is fully funded through Learn Direct.

As for the level 4, I would try running the actual qualification she is taking through the government checks before making any comments to her.

To be honest it sounds a bit iffy - or possibly a very clever loophole!

I've just had my 2 ladies who were training for their level 3 resign because they refuse to do their GCSE or key skills in maths and English

These new rules are going to put so many people off bothering to train :-(

1 of these ladies started at the beginning of 2014 so only had to do her key skills and the other started this year so had to do GCSEs

Sorry to hear that daydreambeliever.....2 members of staff leaving....I am going to have to revisit where I found this info re no gcses for lev 3 and the date it started from....member of staff due back Mar 16...but not sure if she be able to leave her adorable daughter to return to work....xx

The gov site says for both level 3 and 4 to be counted in ratio you need maths and English - depending on the date you started..

Qualifications started after September 2014 (started before it is not needed)

To count in the ratios at level 3, staff holding an early years educator qualification must also have achieved GCSEs in English and maths at grade C or above.

https://www.education.gov.uk/eypqd/level3.shtml

Edited by Inge
  • Like 1

Thanks Inge....that must be where I had seen it too.....but our Assessor seems puzzled by it and it is with her at mo to check....thanks for verifying it...will copy later for my staff member..after I have

finished my good deed for the year,....Yearly Accounts for our village Over 60's club.and my adding machine is playing up....having a lovely day off so far lol xx

• Like 1