Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2 managers out of ratio/supernumerary

Hi, in our setting we have 2 managers out of ratios and always supernumerary. Ok, 1 of the mangers prepare the lunch meal between 730 and 930. But am not sure why in a setting of 48 registration, we need 2 managers to be out of ratio. They seem to be in office all the time. Is the paperwork side of the managers job really that bad that you need 2 of them in the office?

The owner seems to be away most of the time and I have a feeling that the managers are taking him for a ride. My question is if i am aspiring to be a manager, would I be doing paperwork all the time as I would definitely miss working with the children?

Most of my friends at other nurseries always seem to have managers in the rooms part of the days.

Yes a lot of paperwork can be involved depending on how different roles are delegated. Do your managers deal with SEN or OAP paperwork, checking policies and procedures or Supervisions and appraisals for examples?

Ideally Managers who are more qualified should be in the room to role model to staff "best practice" so should at least be in the room or available for support some of the time if not more.

2 managers who are never in the room is not right though!

The owner is thinking of bringing a software to help the managers with paperwork.Yes they deal with SEN paperwork but havent noticed them do any supervisions. Appraisal is done once a year. I agree that the managers be part of the rooms to show the "best practice" to the other staff. Ok, fair enough they are not key workers but at least they should assist the key workers. The owner is a nice guy so i feel bad for him. I know he can save money by not paying external staff to come in when we are understaffed, but the managers still stay in the office.

• Like 1

Blimey ! Two supernumerary staff at Managerial level in a 48 place setting? We are a 100+ place setting. I am entirely supernumerary as I run the business side of things ....and you should see by paperwork pile...still huge ! My two other Managers work entirely with the children and fit in their paperwork around their jobs. We try to allocate admin time but doesn't always work !

What a strange time to prepare lunch ....07.30 ??

I just think the manager is getting paid higher wage than a cook's wage would be. The owner I believe is thinking of outsourcing meals from another company, we have seen a glimpse of the menu and it looks good. Also, the managers have gone on a software training course so that they can do all their admin work using the software. The owner is I think catching up to the fact that he doesn't need 2 managers in the office all the time.

. My question is if i am aspiring to be a manager, would I be doing paperwork all the time as I would definitely miss working with the children?

Are you talking about running a private company or as part of a chain operation?

As a manager of a private company you can set up the way you want and what works for the business. Therefore you could buy in resources for wages/admin/food etc etc and spend more time on the floor ....if you work for a chain then I suspect you may have less freedom to chose.

(we have 52 children on role and my deputy does 2 days admin ...I am on the shop floor ALL the time! and key work!)

Are you talking about running a private company or as part of a chain operation?

As a manager of a private company you can set up the way you want and what works for the business. Therefore you could buy in resources for wages/admin/food etc etc and spend more time on the floor ....if you work for a chain then I suspect you may have less freedom to chose.

(we have 52 children on role and my deputy does 2 days admin ...I am on the shop floor ALL the time! and key work!)

It is a private nursery and not part of any chain. There has been big push from the owner to reduce costs and hence contemplating obtaining meals from external source. Payroll is outsourced at moment. Kindersoft is something we are looking to get as a nursery software management to ease some paperwork burden. Essentially, the owner is keen on managers reconnecting themselves back to the room as that way it is more cost effective as well for him to run the nursery without lagging behind on admin/food.