Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shared garden- babies and preschoolers

Hi all,

I'm after some advice! we have a small garden that is shared by babies and preschoolers, at the same time...now that the weather is good both rooms are out most of the day. Because of the limited space to begin with, it is difficult to have certain equipment out for preschoolers e.g bikes, obstacle courses as there are often baby mats, toys and babies crawling around. Preschool room are getting frustrated at this now and baby staff are on edge. For example, there was a nature tray out for preschoolers with soil, twigs, sticks etc that the babies kept coming to and playing with which worried baby staff.

Preschool only have 3 bikes to begin with. how can we work with the limited space? Would it be fair to limit babies to one half of the garden or should the rooms plan for what type of equipment they will have out and when e.g bikes out on mon and weds afternoons so on that day baby room don't have the tunnels out or too many other toys.

how to make it fair for both rooms and allow them both to have free flow??

many thanks

salus

I work with quite a few nurseries that have sectioned off play space but to be honest, babies usually get a tiny section. It could be a temporary sectioning so that it's not separate all the time.

Another option if the space is small and you really don't have other space for the more adventurous and fast play, then then you could allocate times for that. Yes it means not free flowing all the time but you have to work with what you've got. Then at other times they can all play together.

Interesting you didn't mention toddlers. Do you not have any toddlers or are they in a different space?

• Like 2

I think I would be looking at time slots as Mundia said. Free-flow does not have to be in place for the whole time that you are open. Just carry out your risk assessments and this will provide your evidence for your practise.

• Like 2

I work with quite a few nurseries that have sectioned off play space but to be honest, babies usually get a tiny section. It could be a temporary sectioning so that it's not separate all the time.

Another option if the space is small and you really don't have other space for the more adventurous and fast play, then then you could allocate times for that. Yes it means not free flowing all the time but you have to work with what you've got. Then at other times they can all play together.

Interesting you didn't mention toddlers. Do you not have any toddlers or are they in a different space?

Yes it would be a temporary section, like the right half of the garden for example. The toddlers have their own separate space.

I'm not sure how everyone will take to having a set time for when they can be outdoors especially when it's warm weather, although that seems like the most viable option if we want preschiolers to have their bikes, balls and other large gross motor play

I don't think you could allocate slots as bikes will be Monday & Wednesday pm say as when will Tuesday , Thursday & Friday children get the opportunity to use bikes (unless you have same children for whole week), could work if allocated for a period each day and maybe only certain weeks....good luck :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)