Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Head teacher interview

Hi I have an interview on Monday for a head teacher post in a Nursery. As part of my interview I have to '' engage with the children during free-play, extending children’s interests and developing their understanding. Some current interests within nursery are snails / minibeasts, superheroes, cats and pirates. ''

Any ideas x?? :mellow:

Hi I have an interview on Monday for a head teacher post in a Nursery. As part of my interview I have to '' engage with the children during free-play, extending children’s interests and developing their understanding. Some current interests within nursery are snails / minibeasts, superheroes, cats and pirates. ''

Any ideas x?? :mellow:

if this is during free play then this is about using what the children know already and extending their ideas, creativity and language surrounding their interests. So I would make sure you have some good knowledge on mini-beasts and snails etc (did you know for instance that pirates pay compensation if you lose a limb and then you got a job for lifr below decks as you couldn't fight110 , can you think of storylines to extend play or they might want to create props ....this is obviously VERY child led practise ( :1b ) so you need to go with the flow....make sure you spread yourself around and don't be afraid to watch and observe for a little while...don't just jump in! (tricky when on an interview!) don't limit your speech ....so use words like foot for the snails and then explain what you nmean, or rigging for the pirate ship (do they have a pirate ship , can you gather things to create one.....etc etc)

good luck!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone !!! Im thinking of taking a little door to fix onto the wall with a 'do not open sign' to see what comes of that .. I will follow children's lead after that

I love your little door idea... wishing you the very best of luck

Shame about the rather negative Nancy comment above... not helpful or supportive at all and certainly not in the spirit of the forum! We all need support at times no matter what our position/experience etc.

Thank you apple !! Yes - i thought the same when I saw that comment yesterday !! The point of this forum is surely to share ideas ! You are right ... We all need the support of others at times, sometimes fresh perspectives help - that's why we all joined this forum surely !! Xx

Thank you apple !! Yes - i thought the same when I saw that comment yesterday !! The point of this forum is surely to share ideas ! You are right ... We all need the support of others at times, sometimes fresh perspectives help - that's why we all joined this forum surely !! Xx