Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Decorating stones for outdoors

Hi,

some of the children are keen to decorate stones in the outdoor area. We have done this before with acrylic paint, having been told that it will be waterproof, however, the paint soon came off. Has anyone done this before and found a successful technique to keep the colours on?

Is varnishing them a way forward? Thinking of getting special pens from Baker Ross, then varnishing but not sure this will work,

Thanks,

Green Hippo x

Hi, we have done this and used PVA glue to seal. it worked well slightly watered down. Don't worry when it goes on white - obviously it dries clear!

At least with the PVA the children can do it and its far cheaper than varnish!

We have re sealed as not permanent as varnish.

Meant to say, no need to buy the pens. Poster paint worked fine (strong colours best)

Edited by jazzy1

PVA when it gets wet will go sticky and eventually come off. (or get licked off if you have one of our little ones!!!) for longevity acrylic paints and outdoor varnish is the way to go ...I used to make decoupage pots and they lasted for years done like this! have you seen the sets of dominoes on pintrest made from stones?

• Like 2

Actually no the PVA doesn't come off.

The stones I covered last year (bugs!!) are still outside and although a little faded, they certainly haven't gone sticky. As I said, If you water it down slightly, it works well for this purpose. I agree, a untouched PVA is too thick.

Maybe try it before you buy a varnish.

Actually no the PVA doesn't come off.

The stones I covered last year (bugs!!) are still outside and although a little faded, they certainly haven't gone sticky. As I said, If you water it down slightly, it works well for this purpose. I agree, a untouched PVA is too thick.

Maybe try it before you buy a varnish.

interesting I wonder if different pva's act differently...the story stones I did for inside get licked (often) by one of my little ones !! and they definitely react.....perhaps saliva breaks pva down!!!!! :P

Pva is water soluble so it certainly will absorb water and become white and sticky again under certain conditions. Presumably if you're keeping them somewhere relatively dry they'll last but if they're in a damp environment it would be a different matter.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)