Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stupid Question... But Has To Be Asked!

I work in an independent school and as yet we haven't fully embraced the wonders of the foundation stage file and all that goes with it, planning assessment etc we've been pretty much left to our own devices and been able to pick and choose. We now have a new co ordinator, who is great and knows his stuff!

I am now opening a new class of rising 4's and have to do some foundation plans (help) this is all new and scarey.

This is my silly question what is the difference between Stepping stones and early learning goals? The whole thing is beyond me at the moment I'm dtreaming about long term medium tyerm and short term plans and what to put in my sand tray!!!!!!! Im coming from the workbook and worksheet brigade also our current Reception children get taken here there and everywhere for extra lessons and my new class will be just me and them!

Help help help!

I hope you find this amusing but can seriously give me the answer to my ignorant question!

Thanks guys!

Oh Mottie...

Just put in the sand tray what you want and what the children want!

"Stepping stones" are all the little bits that eventually get children to reach the "early learning goals". For example, one early learning goal for "language for communication" (in comminication, language and literacy) has 9 stepping stones (in cream, blue, green and grey areas). Except that, of course, children will not necessarily follow the stepping stones chronologically.

You will find this easy to understand once you look at "Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage".

Throw away (most of) the worksheets and just have some fun playing and learning.

Diane

P.S. Other people will be more helpful than me

Diane

Thanks for your comments, don't worry I'm planning to have great fun with the children lots of topic based stuff. No more worksheets for me! I am getting the hang of it all, Iv'e been at the same school for 21 years. I started off as an 18yr old NNEB and have been given great opportunities, and now teach my own class! I could tell you some funny stories.....as I have seen things come round full circle at my school!

Mottie (Ruth)

The children wouldn't normally be expected to reach / achieve the ELG ( grey area of curriculum book) until the end of Reception. In my preschool with 4 yr olds we focus toward attaining Green level.

The emphasis now is on lots of observations of the children at play, then plan activities and experiences that are relevant to their observed current interests.

Medium term plans are becoming less useful now with this method of observation and following the childrens lead, and I do think that even the use or need of long term plans will diminish in the future. Short term planning being the method to ensure childrens leads are followed.

Peggy

Dear Mottie

A good publication to illustrate how to use the stepping stones can be ordered from QCA Orderline (08700 60 60 15), it is called 'Seeing steps in children's learning' and comes with an excellent DVD (I think there is now a charge of £5 for this publication, not sure!) If you do a 'google' search for 'Seeing steps in children's learning' it takes you to a page where you can get more details of what it contains and you can decide if it is what you want :o

Hi Peggy,

We are basicly doing the same. We make a yearly schedule of the topics we will cover, but we don't make long term or medium term plans anymore. We do short-term plans taking in consideration that we will do so progressively. For example, the Nursery teacher works the yellow to blue stepping stones and I work towards the green SS in December and towards the grey SS in June. This gives us the change to respond to the children's realities. I feel relieved that someone else (specially someone so experienced like you :D) is also working this way. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Peggy,

We are basicly doing the same.  We make a yearly schedule of the topics we will cover, but we don't make long term or medium term plans anymore.  We do short-term plans taking in consideration that we will do so progressively.  For example, the Nursery teacher works the yellow to blue stepping stones and I work towards the green SS in December and towards the grey SS in June.  This gives us the change to respond to the children's realities.  I feel relieved that someone else (specially someone so experienced like you  :D) is also working this way.  Thanks for sharing!

44518[/snapback]

We find doing some of our short term planning retrospectively takes into account the children's interests. We plan for the first 2 days of each week and then follow the children's lead in providing resources for the next day. Does that make sense?

Thats the way I like to work too!

Stepping stones were introduced as a suggested pathway that children may take to reach the ELGs, they may be attained in a different order or even missed although the colour bands (yellow, blue, green) are largely chronological. Children should be attaining the Goals (grey band) during the Reception year although attainment will vary child by child.

In my understanding, it was never intended that the stepping stones be used to plan against but rather that they were descriptors of the characteristics of the learning would take place on route to ELG attainment.

In my planning therefore, in reception. I planned against the ELGs and used the stepping stones to differentiate and provide the learning intention/objective.

Good luck, Mottie!

Should have added we plan activities with ELGs in mind but because we are a Foundation Stage Unit (children 3 to 5) children will be working on a variety of levels towards that goal. For some children the Stepping Stones may need to be broken down further when considering learning intentions.

Edited by MARl0N

Thats the way I like to work too!

Stepping stones were introduced as a suggested pathway that children may take to reach the ELGs, they may be attained in a different order or even missed although the colour bands (yellow, blue, green) are largely chronological. Children should be attaining the Goals (grey band) during the Reception year although attainment will vary child by child.

In my understanding, it was never intended that the stepping stones be used to plan against but rather that they were descriptors of the characteristics of the learning would take place on route to ELG attainment.

In my planning therefore, in reception. I planned against the ELGs and used the stepping stones to differentiate and provide the learning intention/objective.

Good luck, Mottie!

44534[/snapback]

That is true. I have a girl who is already reading CVC and more complex words! Surely enough I can not hold her! The same is in M.D. where I have some children who can recognise until 3 or 6, others until 10 and others until 100! The youngest became 4 at the beginning of Sept and the oldest will become 6 in Feb (his parents wanted to put him in Reception so he would mature P.S.E.).

Thanks guys for all the posts I am getting to grips with planning! You will be very envious, when i start this new class (named Pre Reception) I will only have 4 children in the spring term then 6 more after Easter! It will be interesting to say the least I'm quite looking forward to it we will be like a little family!

Mottie! :)

Mottie,

We have had 4 preschoolers this year and it has been delightful. We have done so much with them and some sessions have been a wonderful learning experience for all of us. Like you say, a real family atmosphere to it. Have fun! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)