Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Resigned Today

I started in the pre-school leader post a month ago and I resigned today.

During my induction, I saw children left in soiled nappies/pull-ups/pants for up to 45 minutes because the setting's policy was that parents had to come in to change soiled children. I saw this as a BAD policy! In fact, one parent complained (formally) about this during my time in the setting. I proposed a change to the policy (before the complaint) and all staff said that they would not change soiled nappies ("I have a bad back", "I would be sick", "It's too personal", "Our registration doesn't cover it"(!!!), "There would need to be two of us there"). They gave every possible excuse. However, the Committee backed my proposed policy change.

The rest was going OK (planning, record keeping, liaison with parents), except that the staff (a super working team) didn't like changes.

My guidance that we needed to keep "objective" records did not go down well ("I won't write in the book that X broke Y's model because his mum will know I wrote it")

The Committee, parents and children appreciated healthy snacks (fruit and toast), but the staff still felt that biscuits were easier (even though the parent helper did it)!

The EY mentor criticised (to me) some aspects of the staff's working, as these went against training (phonics) she had delivered to them in the last year. I arranged for her to come back in the New Year and do a refresher (for my benefit). This did not go down well with staff.

Anyway, today, "push became shove". One staff member (NVQ2, has been there for 7 years) said she would resign if she had to change the way she worked. The other two (unqualified) staff members supported her (and presumably would have left when she did). I had no option but to resign. The pre school can operate with the long-standing staff (while they find a new leader), but I could not have run it with no staff (none of the staff had signed contracts, so no notice periods were applicable).

I had no option but to offer my resignation (thank you MANAGEMENT committee), because the children need continuity - the setting cannot lose all its staff in one fell swoop.

Anyway, here I am: without a post in an early years setting.

Next time around, I'll ask to interview staff before I accept a post. I need to work with people who share the same ethos ("children's needs come first")

Diane

:o Poor you, but well done for sticking to your principles! I sincerely hope you are not without a post for long as our profession needs practitioners who understand children's needs and put them before settling for an 'easy life'.

Raine x

Hi Dianne

I don't work in pre-school but from the way you write I can see how upset you are. It's bad enough in schools when you sometimes see bad practise, but it seems so much worse when it concerns children's personal care. If you saw the faults other people will too (including parents). Stay positive, don't let it get you down

Debbie :)

Guest toddleo

This is heartbreaking, everything you said I agree with, and just feel so sorry that you were 'up against it' with the staff in the setting. Trust me, I would have backed yuou up, infact we have just implemented our toileting/continence policy so we now change nappies (isn't it unlawful not to?) and changed to healthy snack time.

Chin up and keep searching for a new post there is a setting which will benefit from your common sense approach some where out there.

The phrase 'Out of the frying pan into the fire' springs to mind Diane. Hope everything turns out well for you. I would have backed you, I worked in a nursery as supply a couple of weeks ago that was so bad I told an Ofsted inspector. It's not an official complaint yet but could well be one soon. I had never seen such dirt or staff with so little interest in the children. Luckily I was only there for the day. Keep smiling, something will turn up.

Diane, hope something else comes up for you very very soon! Well done on sticking to your principles. I have been in a similar situation and thought that I could not carry on like that - I was getting too stressed!

Just out of interest everybody, what are the guidelines on changing children in a nursery class? It seems a very grey area to me. Anyone got any examples of their "changing" policies?

Oh Diane :o

You deserve much better, ( and so do the children) I agree with others, well done for sticking to your principles.

What is the matter with these people, you can't even blame it on lack of training as they are basic common sense, childrens rights- to be changed when required and to enjoy positive interaction with adults who care about them.

Hopefully, with the no notice Inspections, this sort of practice will be stopped.

The Committee do need training on legal employment obligations such as "contracts of employment". Still that is their problem and not yours now.

Come new years eve, celebrate the fact that a new year is dawning and it cannot possibly be as bad as 2005, so here's wishing a successful 2006 that can surely only get better.

Peggy

It is part of the duty of care to change a soiled or wet child and not to do so is neglect. In school nursery settings this aspect comes under inclusion. It ia also part of their cocial development. I will see if I can find our policy and guidelines for staff.

It really suprises me that staff who work with very young children take exception to changing them as that is bound to be part of the job, and why choose the job if they don't want to do it!

Dear Dianne,

How sad? It is such a shame that people have difficulty dealing with change, especially when change is needed and wanted. It still seems to me and I still find it difficult to believe that in this day and age there is still a lot of bad practice around. Re changing - I have so say standing around with the smell hovering throughout the group makes it terrible for everyone for the sake of a quick 5 minute change. I think if you felt you weren't being supported in the things you felt needed changing then you were right to leave. The physical care of the child must be of paramount importance and is not negotiable, clearly these things needed addressing. As for resigning well I hope you actually put down the reasons why you felt your position was untenable - and also make sure that you get everything you are entitled to and more, although you may feel that this is not worth the hassle - the committee must appreciate that they ultimatley take resposbility - they sign off the policies and procedures, are responsible for the accounts etc etc - perhaps they should be a bit more aware of their responsibilities.

Anyway - I am sure there will be another job around the corner where you will feel happier

Nikki

Dianne

Just wanted to add my support. It is a pity you did not have a bit more support from the committee. They employed you to lead the staff.

As for staff feeling sick if they have to change a nappy, what do they do if a child soils there pants. That to me is far worse.

I am sure you will find a suitable post soon.

Guest MaryEMac

Diane, just wanted to add my support. I'm really sorry that you felt the need to resign. The committee obviously havn't been supportive of you. As for the staff, they may like an easy life but changes are necessary in early years to make sure that the children receive the best. I hope something turns up for you next year.

Best wishes Mary.

Diane, preschools need caring people like you. With a bit of luck your management committee will not accept your resignation and will support you in sorting out your problem staff.

Keep us informed, won't you?

Thinking of you,

Fox xx

This is a very sad story & I feel for you. But I have to say the poor children have very little say in the matter & are unfortunately unable to resign, so let's hope for everyone's sake someone can give these members of staff a good kick up the behind; I really don't understand why some people choose to work with children when they find them so repulsive & uninteresting. :o

Hope you find what you're looking for. :)

Diane

I was so sad to read your news, being naieve I did not think this sort of setting existed any more.

You are so right and have had to loose your employment for being a good person. I wish you luck in finding a new placement, somewhere that realises that the wellbeing of children is what it is all about and can appreciate you and your principles !

Teri

Thanks all for your support.

I have left them to it. I feel bad about that because the setting is unlikely to move on. It seems to be accepted that a "smelly" child waits (and maybe waits and waits)! Even the children seem to accept it ("I've pooed so I can't play"). How sad?

I just hope I have done the right thing by leaving.

Anyway, I'm hoping for light at the end of the tunnel. After Christmas, I will job hunt. Maybe not for another "pre-school leader" post. I'm thinking that maybe I could only do that if it was a new setting starting up ..... I have a level 4 qualification and my expectations are maybe too high if I step into someone else's shoes (particularly when existing staff have coped without leadership in the interim). Any suggestions? PLEASE!!

In the meantime, I'm doing more work with the severely ASD 8-yr-old in the one-to-one intervention. We're now focussing on language (my strong point, maybe, having had my own child with speech problems). I've had a super couple of days with her (modelling 5-word phrases and getting her using them). My big plus this week (Peggy encourages me to be positive) is that the co-ordinator says I have a good language focus. Yippee!

I'm carrying on and I'm moving on (hopefully)

Diane

Why not have a new year goal to qualify as a speech therapist, it is obviously an area of strength and I think that you would enjoy work on a one-one basis rather than leading a team.

Good luck.

p.s. nows the time to continue to be positive, because you are, rather than because I said so :o

Peggy