Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writers on the cusp

Hi I have a group of writers who are on the cusp of 40-60/ELG Does anyone have any ideas of strategies/ideas of things I can do with this group as intervention to help them become secure ELG?

Thanks in advance

I guess its their confidence. They still need a lot of assistance to reassure them. They can give a good sentence to write and can break it into the words etc.. but its confidence to get it on paper independently.

What about 'Have a go' books which are available for them to access any time. They can write whatever they like in them - give them some suggestions sometimes like making a plan for whatever they're building in the construction are, making a list of the resources they need for their latest make, stories, letters etc. They might enjoy the novelty of having a book to work in. They could decorate the front cover to help identify their own and make it really special then in regular circle times you can ask for children who would like to share something they have done and you can 'enthuse' about it drawing out how proud you are of them for having a go which should hopefully motivate others to try.

• Like 1

a couple of ideas that we find helps to increase confidence are...

1. A shared write every day. At the end of each day a child's photo is chosen and stuck on a strip of paper, that child then says what they have enjoyed doing that day "I liked playing in the sand". Then everyone uses robot arms to sound out, fingers to count the words etc and the teacher scribes exactly what the children say. This helps them to see their thoughts and ideas appearing on paper without the pressure of writing but it also lets them see an adult just 'writing what they think' and not worrying about it being right or wrong.

2. An intervention group, ran each morning for 10/15 minutes, so that the skills are frequently visited. We make sure the writing is relevant - notes to take to the office, notes to put in book bags to remind them to bring in £1 tomorrow, messages to display outside for parents or to put in the cloakroom to keep it tidy.

Both these things have a had a big impact after a block of 6 weeks.

• Like 2

Lots of visual prompts. Our current topic is pirates and just by having pictures of treasure, pirate ships and underwater scenes has inspired all our children to have a go. Do go back and look at the exemplifications for writing, as the range of evidence for ELG is vast and it may help you decide that they are just tipping into ELG rather than just missing it.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)