Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Happens If I'm Ill?

Guest MaryEMac

Guest MaryEMac

This is just a general query but I'm hoping someone will be able to put me right. I am the leader of our village playgroup and am the only member of staff with a level 3 qualification. My deputy has a level 2 and another member of staff is halfway through the level 2 course. A couple of weeks ago my grandchildren very kindly gave me a sickness bug and obviously I couldn't go to work. One of the mums came in as a parent helper but another parent said that surely the group couldn't run as I wasn't there. I didn't find out what had been said until this week when I had had another day off to have a minor operation. My deputy told me today because she hadn't wanted to worry me. Is it acceptable for the group to run without me in an emergency? I have complete faith in my staff and all they have to do is follow the planning( which they did). I hope someone can put me right because there is a wealth of experience out there. :o

Thanks, Mary

I can personally see no real problem in short term eventualities such as this. Presumably your staff are vetted, and know what to do day-to-day. For your own peace of mind, contact your Early Year's Advisor. In the Playgroup I used to run, before I insisted on at least one other L3 qualified staff member (who was, obviously my Deputy and paid at a rate between myself and other staff), in this eventuality the Chairperson or another member of the Committee used to cover as they were responsible and vetted, although the staff used to actually oversee the session(s). You do, really, need to develop a contingency plan here.

Any help?

Sue

You really do need to have another level 3 member of staff to take over as a minimum. Even if you have every confidence in your staff a level 3 qualification would be what OFSTED would be looking for.

Linda

Guest MaryEMac

Thanks Linda and Sue,

As we are only a small group in the Fens it is quite a task to persuade people to do the training, which is usually quite a distance from our location. I'm hoping that one of my staff members will do the L3 when she has finished the L2 but I don't want to push too much as she has a young familyand a husband who does shift work. Anyway I can but hope, and pray that I keep healthy!!!!!

Hi,

Maybe the shift work will help? I did most of my L3 when my husband was on nights. Although, that does leave you rather tired!!! :o

I believe there are distance learning things available now, as well. Don't forget, if they will only be working in a PG, she can do the DPP offered by the Preschool Learning Alliance - if it still is? I'm a bit rusty there. In my day it was L3 but only covered 3 - 5 years, may have changed now, not as up to date as I should be xD

Sue

I also agfree that there should be another level 3 to cover in illness, or absence, this is what ofsted are looking for

however if you are able to set out an action plan on how staff are achiieving this or how they intend to reach this requirement and in what timescale Ofsted can offer their approval. (Standard 2.5)

There should always be a named deputy who is able to take over if you are away or unavailable, this arose in one of our inspections not because we were not qualified but just because no one was directly named as deputy...they could all do the job at any time...(I am very lucky as all staff are level3 but i am very aware of the fact that this is unusual.)

DPP can be done as distance learning but it is expensive and this stops many doing it. These days it is L3 and covers up to 8 - so the staff who have done it here have been told. They also said it was better than trying to do a NVQ as they were actually taught and not expected to know it all by work experience, they have become much more confident and willing to give more input.

Inge

On the qualification front, there is also the APEL route, which is aimed at 'older' members of staff that have lots of experience but are reluctant to undertake a Level 3 qualification. This is based on testimonies from employers and the candidate has to complete a folder of evidence of work, planning etc that has been undertaken. Not sure if this would be relevant for your deputy?

I'm sure it has been discussed previously on the forum...

RB

x

Hi Mary, I was in a similar situation a few years ago when a member of staff had to go into hospital and was away for a few weeks.

I phoned Ofsted and told them of the situation and that it was a temporary problem and how I was dealing with it ( I called in extra people so my adult - child ratio was higher). Ofsted accepted the situation, which I asked them to put in writing. After the event I asked the local EYDCP for advice and I was given a contact number for a local Staff supply agency. This was acceptable to the Inspector at my next Inspection as my contingency plan for staff cover in the event of absences. Thankfully I have not had to use the agency for staff cover and I now employ more level 3 staff.

Is there another preschool / nursery who are nearby who you could liase with and between you support each other with staff cover should this situation arise again?

Peggy

p.s. I hope you are well now :D

Guest MaryEMac

Thanks everyone for your comments. Have spoken to my staff today and the one who is due to finish the level 2 in April has said that she definitely wants to do the level 3. Hopefully we will be seen by Ofsted as working towards more qualified staff. I do have a named deputy who will take charge if I'm off.

I'm fine Peggy, thanks for asking. I thought that I had got to have grommets put in as I had gone deaf in one ear but when they got me under general anasthetic and made holes in my eardrums they found no fluid to be removed. Basically it was a waste of time and now they have to decide if I will benefit from a hearing aid. I suppose it will be handy to turn off if the children get too noisy!!!!!

Mary

A bit of a coincidence Mary, last week I was in hospital having a perforated eardrum fixed in my left ear. My right ear was done 2 yrs ago. I went for the check-up today and to have the stitches out. I've suffered with ear infections for years, the right ear was mended with a membrane graft and they used a cartilage graft for my left ear. However at the check-up today they noticed a small perforation has formed in my right ear again.

It takes about 2 yrs to get from initial consultation to operation date, so it looks like I'll have to start all over again for the right ear to be fixed.

I wonder if it is an occupational hazard????

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)