Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

progression as a setting

Hello,

I need some help.

How do you all show progression of your setting and demonstrate that what you have implemented has improved development or narrowed the gap?

I don't know where to start to break down my cohort and demonstrate my knowledge in a. Setting overview.

Thank you ?

Over time - year on year improvement in % attaining expected or above as a whole, and then groups boys/girls, summer born, PPF entitiled, SEN, major ethnic groups attaining levelly, not one group substantially better than others.

I keep annotated data to show what we have done about ensuring different groups stay in-line with the majority, eg one year we had a drift among our Spring born girls, so we put a brief intervention in place to bring them back on track, last year our boys' calculating was not so good as the girls, so we put a heavier weighting on maths outside and assigned an adult to support that activity.

Take a look at the Ofsted schedule for ideas of groups to track.

Within a cohort I look at intake data to identify any particular groups who appear to be 'at risk' - this year it's the high-fliers (all 2 of them!) who need careful watching so they don't just coast along. Then I track them through the year as well as groups shown above. I also keep an eye on children who may be affected by other interventions in the family - mum doing an in-house ESOL course for example - so I can show the impact of these.

Mid-year (now!) the whole year group takes a check on progress and we put interventions into place if we need to. This year we are focussing on our children who aren't retaining phase 2 of Letters and Sounds - phonics is a BIG deal just now!

Sure there's loads more ways and others will give ideas about those, this is just what I do, and it was OK with Ofsted last half-term.

Thank you so much, this is exactly it, but how do you gain all this information and where do you input it.

I have visions of me in the middle of 40 trackers trying to input it on an excel document.

But what you are explaining is exactly what I need to do.

Will have a read of the document too. Thank you

Quote - "Thank you so much, this is exactly it, but how do you gain all this information and where do you input it."

We commit the grave crime of highlighting developmental matters statements - keep a set for each child - as we observe and work alongside the children. This gives a reference point for a sense of where each child is and how they are progressing.

My school uses Target Tracker as a data handling tool, so so do I now. I did keep excel files until quite recently and they did the job, but did involve a lot of highlighting of different groups and calculator work to get information that is now a few clicks away.

I'm afraid I don't know about Tapestry, but many people seem to like it a lot.

Incidently - 2 o'clock in the morning is sleeping time!!!

We commit the grave crime of highlighting developmental matters statements - keep a set for each child - as we observe and work alongside the children. This gives a reference point for a sense of where each child is and how they are progressing.

I bet more of us do this, than those that don't :D:D to me it's a very visual way and the only way in a pre-school playgroup that doesn't have 'all singing all dancing' systems like those in a school - added to it the great bonus of the staff understand it :1b

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)