Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mentor needed! Reception/Yr 1

Just wondering if there is anyone who currently works in a mixed Reception and Year 1 class who would be willing to be my mentor :P - someone who would be willing to be bombarded with PM's and cries for help! I will be moving to the Reception/Yr 1 class in September and will need lots of support, advice and probably a shoulder to cry on! I am in a maintained nursery class and have had no experience of YR/Y1. :huh:

This is in the same school right?

Can you be using this time to go visit the class currently and see how the teacher works with them? In PPA time? Could you talk with the HT re your own CPD needs and how this can be supported before Sept??

Cx

• Like 1

Devonmaid, where's that confidence that was written into that job application?

Always willing to help although not currently employed....I have worked in yrR and yr1.

Yes, ironic isn't it! First I'm asked to say where I would like to move in September - I panic and say I will need lots of support, then I am asked to write a letter to apply (because others may also apply, in which case there will be an interview) and my letter has to show that I am confident!

Thanks Susan.

This is in the same school right?

Can you be using this time to go visit the class currently and see how the teacher works with them? In PPA time? Could you talk with the HT re your own CPD needs and how this can be supported before Sept??

Cx

Yes, that's right Catma. Yes, I am planning to visit and perhaps teach a few lessons in the summer term. I think I will be doing a 'talk for writing' course in the summer term too. The staff are all very supportive and I will know the children as I am moving up with them! I just haven't taught in 'school' since teacher training, as I went right in to nursery as an NQT and that is where I have stayed.

Thanks Catma

Teaching is a transferable skill, whatever age group!!

Cx

Absolutely ... and just what I highlighted in my letter - but it doesn't stop me from being nervous! I'm sure I will be fine once I start ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)