Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Name Games

has anyone got any good ideas for name games or where I could find some

cheers

bb

43737[/snapback]

Not very exciting but this is what I do....

Coloured card with individual letter of childs name - different coloured card for first and last letter so they get the hang of the beginning and end. It's interesting how some of them put the cards upside down/back to front etc.

Then we move onto writing over laminated sheets of child's name - this probably insn't proper FS practice but is good for those who can write their names already but have got into the habit of incorrect formation.

Other games are pelmanism/pairs with name and photograph of children in the classroom. This is good for when the children first start. I take photos of them at the home visit and make 2 copies and laminate them.

Get a large blanket and the children all cover their eyes. Quietly choose one child and hide them under the blanket. Children open their eyes and we all say "bug in the rug, bug in the rug who's that bug in the rug?" The children take turns to guess who is under the rug. Good fun . The problem is stopping the hidden child from jumping out and saying "It's me" :o

Carolyn

We introduce ourselves and the person sitting next to us - "Hello everyone my name is Mimi and this is Fred.

I also have a name bird he sings "Tell me what you name is." The children sing back "My name is Stephanie"

• 4 weeks later...
These games are to reach children to recognise their names. We use them a lot and they are popular, especially 'Is this your name?', which children play without an adult after a while.

45002[/snapback]

Thanks for that. I especially like point 8, "if you invent a new game, write it down". I couldn't count the number of times I've done things spontaneously and thought "That went well" then forget about it. Task for new year - produce a "That went well" record book. :D

Peggy

Hi Basil Brush,

I've used a song during circle time called 'Who came to Nursery'. Each child gets a turn, and can clap whilst they are singing. The children i have used this with really love it.

It goes

'Who came to nursery

Peter, Peter,

Peter came to nursery,

Mary, Mary

Mary came to nursery,

Samantha, Samantha

Samantha came to nursery,

etc ...

You go around the whole circle, including all the children, and if you feel brave enough, the teachers as well.

Hope this helps :D

Lu

• 2 weeks later...
has anyone got any good ideas for name games or where I could find some

cheers

bb

43737[/snapback]

You could try the jumping bean song, to help chn learn each others names . The chn sit in a circle and they take turns to jump in the middle as the rest of the group sing using the child's name. ie

Nathan's a bean, a jumping bean

The biggest bean I've ever seen

He can jump so high and nearly touch the sky (at this point the child stops jumping andf stretches his hand high in the air)

This child then chooses another chilod to be the jumping bean)

To the tune - Frere Jacques

Lucie stand up

Lucie stand up

Turn around

Touch the ground

Reach up really high now

Jump to touch the sky - WOW

Now sit down

Now sit down

The child does the actions to the song.

We also sing ......Everyone stand up...etc

Sue J

Guest MaryEMac

sorry can't remember name of tune,

we all sit in a circle and sing Hello Jade, how are you

Hello Jody, how are you

Hello Lewis, how are you

On this sunny/snowy/windy morning.

also at end of session we sing Goodbye Sam, see you soon

Goodbye Cameron, see you soon

Goodbye Jade, see you soon

On another morning.

Will try and remember tune and let you know.

Mary

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)