Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dragon writing

We are having a dragon week this week following interests of the children. I'm trying to think of an outdoor writing idea and can only think of paint black on different areas as if burnt by the dragon and the children have to write a list for the headteacher. Any other ideas gratefully received?!

Green Hippo

How about big pavement chalks for huge dragon drawings on the path or hard standing? Big tissue paper 'flame' kites. Can they make a paper aeroplane type of folded paper dragon that flies and decorate it?

clues to find the dragon's treasure?

could you build it a cave? maybe design the cave first?

are you allowed fires? If so, instructions for making toast?

not writing but do you know the Paper Bag princess? I read it with my Year R's sometimes - princess has to rescue wimpy prince from dragon

What a brilliant topic!

Julia Donaldson has written a great dragon book, Zog. There could be some ideas in there too, like the things the dragons have to learn, and first aid!

Edited by Cait

I did use Zog in the end, thanks Cait! I hung up stars around the outdoor Area with letters on the back. Told the children that Madam Dragon had lost her stars which ones has she left. Can't tell you how excited they were to find the stars and attempt to write the letters (was a focus for this week - to write letters or letter like shapes)! Also counting and finding out how many more we need to find.

I'm trying to provide a writing idea for outdoors each week as I have some children who are ready but are always outdoor being physical!

Working so far!

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)