Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs performance management targets

What do you all do/get for your PM targets? Is it a GLD prediction? My reception teacher is loathe to predict the GLD at this time of year because until she actually starts proper phonics and has done it for a wee while, she doesn't like to second guess if they are going to "get it" or not. New head in post and we are a bit nervous we are going to be given an unrealistic GLD target that will be out of our reach. Help!!!!

• Like 1

i've got to get 60% GLD for Literacy - reading and writing, and Mathematics - number only. Nursery. Last year's writing was really low compared to similar catchment area schools - 40%. we got 57% reaching GLD last year, and this year are much better, so 60% is reasonable. reception teacher is expected to get significantly more this year, but i told head 60% in two years was more reasonable, rather than this year. i said nursery getting more at GLD would help her next year. so i hope she wasn't expecting miracles from her......

last years progress one was that the majority (80%) were at ARE (age-related expectation), or for those who weren't (lots!) the gap had closed and they had made good progress from their starting point (3+ steps)

I am in Nursery and I had a progress target of at least 85% to make expected progress (which in our school we agreed to be a full "level" so from 22-36 secure to 30 - 50 secure for example) and at least 20% to make better than expected progress. I fully expect the second part of my progress target to be more taxing this year as our children make good progress but have low attainment so "Narrowing the Gap" is going to require greater numbers to make better than expected progress. In addition it was easily met last year so will need to increase just to sustain previous results.

In our school all teachers have the first part of the progress target and anyone on UPS has a secondary progress target for accelerated progress.

Mel

x

I am in Nursery and I had a progress target of at least 85% to make expected progress (which in our school we agreed to be a full "level" so from 22-36 secure to 30 - 50 secure for example) and at least 20% to make better than expected progress. I fully expect the second part of my progress target to be more taxing this year as our children make good progress but have low attainment so "Narrowing the Gap" is going to require greater numbers to make better than expected progress. In addition it was easily met last year so will need to increase just to sustain previous results.

In our school all teachers have the first part of the progress target and anyone on UPS has a secondary progress target for accelerated progress.

Mel

x

Thank you. How did you arrive at those percentages?

• Like 1

Well technically I didn't arrive at them, as a school we all have the same target for Expected Progress. Because it is progress driven and not attainment driven there is no need to review baselines etc before setting the target; whatever their level you are still expecting a certain amount of progress.

I should also have mentioned that this was across the 3 prime areas plus literacy and maths. In my class of 26 this meant 22 needed to make at least expected progress in those 5 areas (or 12 aspects) Having that 15% "buffer zone" allows for those children who for example progressed well in most areas but missed the target in others.

Hope this helps

Mel

x

Well technically I didn't arrive at them, as a school we all have the same target for Expected Progress. Because it is progress driven and not attainment driven there is no need to review baselines etc before setting the target; whatever their level you are still expecting a certain amount of progress.

I should also have mentioned that this was across the 3 prime areas plus literacy and maths. In my class of 26 this meant 22 needed to make at least expected progress in those 5 areas (or 12 aspects) Having that 15% "buffer zone" allows for those children who for example progressed well in most areas but missed the target in others.

Hope this helps

Mel

x

How does this translate in Reception? If a young summer born child enters Reception not quite entering the 40-60 age and stage, more just securing the top end of 30-50 as they might be 48 months old......and they finish emerging, say at the top end of emerging, does that mean they have not made the typical progress target as they have not moved up a level?

Well we have just had Ofsted and this was an area they looked at. Our take on it is that a secure 30-50 child on entry to Reception should be secure at 40-60.

Our interpretation is that the ELGs are not "the next step AFTER 40-60" but a separate assessment made at the end of the EYFS. Therefore a child who makes a levels progress from secure 30-50 to secure 40-60 should be on track to achieve the ELG.

Reading between the lines based on what the inspector said to our Reception teacher (and new EYFS lead) and our Headteacher the impression I got was that schools who are saying that a child entering as secure 30-50 is not expected to reach "Expected" in the ELGs is a bit of an issue that they are looking out for.

Once we explained that on our tracking we expected those secure 30-50s to achieve the ELG this appeared to match the inspectors view. Not saying that this is an official line, just our experience.

Hope this helps

Mel

x

Well we have just had Ofsted and this was an area they looked at. Our take on it is that a secure 30-50 child on entry to Reception should be secure at 40-60.

Our interpretation is that the ELGs are not "the next step AFTER 40-60" but a separate assessment made at the end of the EYFS. Therefore a child who makes a levels progress from secure 30-50 to secure 40-60 should be on track to achieve the ELG.

Reading between the lines based on what the inspector said to our Reception teacher (and new EYFS lead) and our Headteacher the impression I got was that schools who are saying that a child entering as secure 30-50 is not expected to reach "Expected" in the ELGs is a bit of an issue that they are looking out for.

Once we explained that on our tracking we expected those secure 30-50s to achieve the ELG this appeared to match the inspectors view. Not saying that this is an official line, just our experience.

Hope this helps

Mel

x

Thank you. Interesting.

I had my pm today. We are going to set targets for % getting emerging, expected and exceeding as well as a % for GLD. I don't know how we will arrive at what percentages they will be as we're not setting them until I've submitted my on-entry assessments. Last year I only had a GLD target which was set before on-entry assessment was completed. That was to get 50% with GLD with an aspiration target of 75% getting it. I know that was to aim to fall somewhere between what the national GLD was in 2013 and what the school GLD was.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this helps

Mel

x

Hi Mel,

I understood everything you said and it tallied with what we understand, until the bit about ELGs not being the next step after 40-60m. I thought that the new guidance in summer was very much saying that there was 40-60 emerging (40-60c on our tracker), 40-60 developing (40-60b), 40-60 secure (40-60a) moving 3 steps for expected progress during fs2 to reach ELG emerging (ELGc), ELG developing (ELGb) and ELG secure (ELGa) - this seems to be what our EYs advisors are saying to us. ?

I am going to start a new discussion about tracking fs2 progress which you might be able to help with too if you don't mind?

thanks

nicky

• 2 weeks later...

we predict ELG emerging etc- this is not a very exact science- think we tend to under predict having done this for 2 yrs. We also use target tracker which works on 6 points of progress per year and report progress data. this forms part of pm but ours is not linked to pay. A quick question are you using secure 30-50 as an acceptable level for Rec entry- target tracker works on an average of beginning 40-60.

Please remember that emerging, developing securing etc don't actually exist in any statutory documentation - the only statutory things are the ELGs and currently the EYFSP.

I also see the ELGs as a separate assessment criteria for the purposes of the EYFSP. They match to the statutory educational programmes and are the marker for achieving the expected level in each aspect as well as the GLD.

There are no sub levels progress etc in the EYFS - your school may use a system but this isn't national or statutory!

Cx

. A quick question are you using secure 30-50 as an acceptable level for Rec entry- target tracker works on an average of beginning 40-60.

Yes, because otherwise we couldn't use our target tracker effectively - we are using to track progress through the year, 6 steps being expected progress, 7 being accelerated.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)