Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Announcement On 'toddler Curriculum'...

Has anyone seen the press/ heard the news today?

The Mail has jumped on the bandwagon again (and the Telegraph has followed suit) with the new announcement of the Early Years Foundation Stage (formerly known under the working title of the Early Development and Learning Framework - I think :( )

Parent's groups are up in arms about babies being 'taught' from birth and 'children's childhood being taken away from the moment they leave the maternity ward' :o

What they are actually referring to (in my opinion) is the confirmation of the nought to five curriculum which will incorporate BTTM and FS, but by calling it the new title have caused unnecessary alarm. xD

People are using the word 'curriculum' and automatically thinking of teaching, rather than thinking of learning experiences i.e. PLAY !!! :D

Sometimes I wonder what the media is coming too..... :(

PS Sorry about the smiley overload!!

"The Mail has jumped on the bandwagon again (and the Telegraph has followed suit) with the new announcement of the Early Years Foundation Stage (formerly known under the working title of the Early Development and Learning Framework - I think )"

I thought that the newone lesley Staggs and others are writing for 0-6yrs was called the Early Development and Learning Framework. Not heard of the Early Years Foundation Stage is this a media mistake or is this the name for the new "curriculum" currently being written??? :oxD

I do agree that the media have got confused and have ruined any intellectual review of any new guidelines because of their " dramatic, horror of horrors babies curriculum" portrayal.

Peggy

p.s. haven't read any newspapers but heard about the Telegraph headline on TV.

I thought thats what mothers did with their children when they were born is teach them. I certainly taught my children things until they started pre-school. maybe the government needs to look at teaching some of the mothers on how to "teach" their children the things they need to learn to be responsible children. If the government needs to put labels on things i think compulsory parent classes would not be a bad idea. i have mothers that have no idea how to "teach" their children anything, not even the basics of how to eat and go to the toilet.. sorry every one my pet hate is lack of parenting skills :o:D

im going to a seminar about it all next week.The inital letter I got inviting me along was titled 'Birth to Five Qaulity Framework- the early development and learning framework'

I've just got a letter with further info for the day itself and that title was 'Early Years Foundation Stage' :o none the wiser but hope to be by this time next week. Will let you know what I find out xD

Perhaps we should be looking at not how parents can "teach" their children things but how they can help them develop. I do feel that the word "teach" rings alarm bells for parents-they don't feel that they are qualified to do so.

We need to support parents and give them guidance. This governments strategies undermine the confidence of parents. They tell them that the best place for their children is with somebody else not with them. I feel that this is so much more so today than it ever was. Parents are under pressure to be superhuman, especially mums. They have to have a high powered career, run a home and bring up children. Oh, and in between time enjoy their own lives!!!

I don't agree with a curriculum for under fives let alone babies! They need to have the freedom to play and investigate and find out about the world in their own way-not as some curriculum lays down, even birth to three.

Yet again it is a government who wants to control and interfer in our lives.

Linda

I think the money would be well spent on parenting classes, including behaviour management, parents would benefit from boosting their confidence - I know I did when I did a Parent Link course many years ago.

As for the curriculum - it's just spinning words and probably more paperwork for us!!

Deb

I've just got a part ime job as assistant to tutors in the Family Learning programmes run by Birmingham Council. The idea behind them is that parents learn how to play with their children and how that play helps the child develop. In reality, the only parents signing up for it are those who understand the importance of play anyway. They are the one's who have bothered to read the Adult Ed booklet that gets put through the door and then bother to enrole onthe courses. The parents who it is aimed at are the one's who dont read the booklet or see any need to learn with their child, so unfortunatly, in this case it's just not getting to the people who would benefit the most.

I too throught the press and the TV news had got the wrong end of the stick, either that or the Government dont know what we've all been working at over the last few years. :D

when I heard Lesley staggs talk about this she used both titles, the learning and development framework bit I think referred to the BTTM/FSCG amalgam and the single quality framework was the whole overarching BTTM/FSCG/NC 0 -11 thang. At least I think that is what she was saying!!!!

I've just got a part ime job as assistant to tutors in the Family Learning programmes run by Birmingham Council.

42591[/snapback]

Good for you, Rea, well done :D Hope this doesn't mean the allotment is going to suffer :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)