Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Calendar Ideas

Hello people! I started my teaching practice today (very exciting!) and they have asked me if I would like to do this years calendar. Obviously it cant be on a Christmas theme as it goes through the whole year so I need some inspiration from the experinced lot! Any ideas??? :D

What age group are you working with?

My daughter did a snowman with cotton wool for her calender one year and yes it was rather strange having it up in June, (then again it did look a bit like a tournado in a cotton wool factory, but wholly her own work)

One year we had a photo of her surrounded by a lovely frame, made with pasta and lentils, and raised shapes, sprayed gold.

Personally I prefer to see something individually made by the child themselves, rather than 30 identical calendars.

Hi Jo,

I'm working with Reception age children and I totally agree with you about identical calendars. I'm dreadful at creative thinking! I might do individual collages or paintings of some sort.

Thanks for your help!

You can cut the card you are using into an interesting shape - a hot air balloon works really well (the little book attaches to the 'basket'), then set up a work shop giving the children a choice of ways to decoroate their balloon e.g. printing, marble rolling, collage (all with masses of glitter to encourage fine motor control - and give the wow/ahhh! factor :o )

You wont have time for this now and it is a lot of work but one year we collected 12 pictures from each child over the year and made them into a calender with a picture for each month. In later years we have had 4 pictures which are linked to the seasons. Each picture was done seperatly and then stuck onto an A3 sheet. :D

For the past couple of years we have used photos of the children. We take a photo of them engaged in an activity at Nursery. The children then decorate a border to go around the photo - often something simple like finger-printing a repeating pattern.

The parents are always really thrilled with them.

For the past couple of years we have used photos of the children.  We take a photo of them engaged in an activity at Nursery.  The children then decorate a border to go around the photo - often something simple like finger-printing a repeating pattern.

The parents are always really thrilled with them.

42471[/snapback]

We have let the children use the computer paint program to 'do a special picture for home'and had some lovely results Pictures are all different and at their own level,some could write own names.We then mount them on bright card {colours chosen by child .Quite effective.

PS I like the hot air ballon suggestion :)

In the past i have done handprint angels with picture of chn next to it and the writing To Mummy from your little angel. they do end being very adult led and all identical and not following foundation creative principles but the parents absolutely loved them!!! One even cried when her child took it home!!!! Very bad foundation creative practise but heart warming!!

What about a self portrait? (always individual and lovely for parents to look back on in future years) - mounted, or laminated with the calendar fob attached.

I have sometimes used 'brusho' to lightly paintwash the background and then the child paints or uses felt pelt pen to produce pic - looks effective. Used for family portrait too in past. The 'my hands' poem and handprints is always very popular.

Ive struggled with this one for years and have finally mastered it. Its easy and individual and the parents love it and keep it forever. I did it last year for the first time cos i knew i was going in hospital and needed to have it done and off my mind. The parents adored it.

Its based on the tea towels where the children all draw themselves. In the middle of an A4 sheet i printed the school logo and beneath it Reception Class 2004. Each child drew their own small pic of themselves and their name on a label and we stuck them around. We just used a black thin felt tip. Come to think of it i did the original on A3 and then reduced it to A4 on photocopier. i copied it onto yellow paper and mounted it on black and stapled the calendar tab below.

The parents loved seeing the whole class and have told me they will be keeping it forever!!

Hope that helps.

Let me know if you try it!!

Jo

For the salad spinner pictures place a circular piece of paper in the salad spinner drip some brightly coloured runny paint onto the paper put on the lid and spin. The children love this and will keep spinning it for ages. The paint spreads out and colours mix giving brighjtly coloured abstract pictures suitable for all year round viewing, keep adding paint until the desired effect is achieved.

For the icing sugar paintings mix up some icing sugar with water, it need to be fairly runny. Paint over the surface of some thin card - we have used paper plates, drip paint over the surface, the colours spread and mix. It takes a while longer to dry but the colours are brighter and sparkle.

Mimi, do you know--can you use an icing sugar wash over a painted picture?

my son made a lovely snowman picture with a sparkly finish many moons ago and when I asked the teacher how that had been achieved, that was what she seemed to be saying but Ive never been brave enough to try it. Or perhaps she had mixed the paint with icing sugar??

we get the children to do a finger print picture of anything they like: car, butterfly, flower, princess, sun, etc. all individual, all bright and colourful and go well throughout the year!

then we double mount the picture and double mount the calander bit then goes on A4 piece of card.

better get the mum helpers to prepare the mounts while i'm thinking about it!!!

Michaelle, what is 'brusho'???

Mimi, how do you paint with a salad spinner, icing sugar etc

42541[/snapback]

Brusho is a coloured powder which you simply mix the tiniest amount in water. presume you can get it from art suppliers or YPO. I know it comes in larger tubs and we decant it into salt pots. It isnt suitable for the children to mix themselves as it is a cold water dye and it stains, but it is effective to use as a colour wash.

Mimi, do you know--can you use an icing sugar wash over a painted picture?

my son made a lovely snowman picture with a sparkly finish many moons ago and when I asked the teacher how that had been achieved, that was what she seemed to be saying but Ive never been brave enough to try it. Or perhaps she had mixed the paint with icing sugar??

42546[/snapback]

Thanks for that tip will try it tomorrow.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)