Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Showing Value Added - DM's V Early Outcomes

Hi all

for the past few years we have been using the DM's to track children's progress over the year that they are with us in Nursery. We break them down into stages for example in Communication and Language a child may come in say at band 4 (22-36 months) at a developing stage (we would call this 4d) but over the time they are with us may progress into the next band (5) and leave secure in that band 5s.

We do this for all areas of learning and it has always worked well enough and we feel that the DM's give good coverage with the many statements.

However, a member of the SLT want us to use Target Tracker to come in line with what the school we are attached to uses. My concern is that Target Tracker is based on the Early Outcomes and I am not sure if this will reflect enough progress and most importantly the value added.

Has anyone got any experience or advise they could give me please?

Yes, there's virtually no difference. I don't see this would be a problem, Apple. Presumably Target Tracker allows you to demonstrate progress through the age-bands in a similar way?

We use Target Tracker. You'll get plenty of value added. It tracks using ages and stages but also breaks it down even further to show small steps of progress, ie 30-50 b (beginning), 30-50 b+, 30-50 d (developing), 30-50 d+ etc. so there are six assessment bands for each age bands.

as nettynoodles mentions it'll show progress better than your current system, which is similar to what we used to do, as it breaks each band down into 6 steps. and you can quickly monitor what progress each child is making over the 17 aspects at a glance, rather than having to look through paper copies. and it'll show who is at risk of working below age-related expectations and who is working below ARE, so you can put interventions in place to close the gap. and reception teacher can use it as her/his baseline, particularly if you have moderated your assessments together and agreed.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)