Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2 - 3 year old popular resources

We are a mixed age setting - 2/3/4 yr olds all in one room & one small outdoor area - an absolutely everything packaway setting.

In the past we have had mainly 3&4 yr olds but the tide is turning very quickly and our age group is getting very young: basically we are taking the day they are 2 - our resources probably don't cater particulary well for this very young group

So my question is what are your children's favourite resources in the 2-3 age group??

home corners/cardboard boxes and lots of playdough! but in terms of purchasing the two favourites again and again are our marble tree (we have big marbles when they first start which cannot be swallowed !) it makes noises at it goes down, wooden rainbow, car track that zig zags down i call it ric rac but i dont think that's the official name) oh and the mud kitchen!

I dont do plastic so all these items are wooden ....hate the primary coloured plastic stuff im afraid!

• Like 3

Offer boxes and containers, canvas/wicker shopping bags/baskets, tubes, scoops and other utensils, allow children to empty and fill - choose containers that can be stacked inside each other - encourage chn to help pack away by fitting everything into the largest container. Use familiar household objects, pots and pans etc. Large size turkey basters to suck up and squirt water. Lots of sand and water play and other sensory play - shaving foam, gloop, playdough, bread mix dough, add glitter for sparkle, rice etc for texture. Bring in ice, frozen balloons, gloves etc. Give children dried pasta, oats, cereals to explore, colour it, mix it with water. Cooked spaghetti, covered in a little oil, with tongs and cutlery is always popular - again you can colour the spaghetti. Builders trays are great to use inside and out and can be put on the ground or on stands of different heights. Recycled materials to encourage 3D modelling - again, one big box can be used to store all the other bits and pieces. 3D modelling does not have to be about gluing and sticking everything together, just allow children to explore, balance pieces, build it high, make it long. Use old sheets to hang outside for painting. Musical instruments, real and made, shakers etc. Props to use with action rhymes and songs, either toys or laminated pictures of spiders, ducks, monkeys etc. Are you allowed a space to dig outside? A mud kitchen sounds fun! Scarves to play peekaboo, hide under, dance with, walk through - knot an end and throw them. Hats, scarves, gloves etc for dressing up - fnd an old suitcase for storage. Fill bowls with soap suds and wash clothes, though you may end up taking wet things home to dry them! Bean bags with different fillings, different weights, different colours and shapes. Are you allowed to hang things outside? Put up windchimes, coloured ribbons, mirrors, letters and shapes, laminated pictures of insects etc. Pop up tents/tunnels are great fun and can be used to play hide and seek, somewhere to share stories. Don't forget books, especially lift the flap, noisy books or those with textures.

• Like 4

Very nice .... it's it quite robust as it will be 'stuffed' into the shed with everything else!!

it's lasted 60 children a day for 3 years...have had a couple of the 'leaves' come unstuck but have just superglued them back!

• Like 1

Myriad toys ...i tried to do a link but my computers being weird about it! (rainbow cascade marble track i think???)

Wow, just looked at Myriad Toys. Think I might need to buy a lottery ticket though...I like everything!

• Like 1

Wow, just looked at Myriad Toys. Think I might need to buy a lottery ticket though...I like everything!

yes i have to plan to buy from them but we have the big rainbow and it has withstood children standing on it with no ill effects. It is also much more complex than it looks as it is hand made and therefore only really 'fits 'together one way, But you can stack it as a tower, like ribs as a flower etc etc etc we've recently teamed it up with flexi roads to make car tunnels which was also very effective.

I also like some of the stacking blocks which are rather lovely.....my other favourite catalogue is mindstretchers! (have to be careful i don't get too girly though!!)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)