Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Characteristics of learning - problem solving.

Hi,

Just wondering what you consider to be a problem solving activity? Sorry if that sounds a stupid question but as usual I am thinking to deeply into it ! Due you consider it to be any activity that involves them finding their own way of doing achieving something? So could include creating a model/picture etc , how to solve a role-play problem e.g. stopping the trolls getting in or a more traditional problem e.g. how to move all bricks to the other side of the playground?

Thanks,

Green Hippo x

Hi,

Just wondering what you consider to be a problem solving activity? Sorry if that sounds a stupid question but as usual I am thinking to deeply into it ! Due you consider it to be any activity that involves them finding their own way of doing achieving something? So could include creating a model/picture etc , how to solve a role-play problem e.g. stopping the trolls getting in or a more traditional problem e.g. how to move all bricks to the other side of the playground?

Thanks,

Green Hippo x

yes i would consider these to be problem solving. How do you manage to do something that is not obvious i guess! working it out in their own heads using information that they have had previously. We currently have pictures of classic buildings in the construction area...lots of problem solving trying to work out what they could use to create their own......especially the leaning tower of piza ...extra thinking skills needed there!

Thanks for your replies!

I'm writing reports at the moment and (as you do) start thinking about whether my expectations are right. Sometimes the wording is so specific that I can get dragged into expected too much from the children.

Again, with the 'making links' part of 'Creating and Thinking critically' I am looking for children to make comments ways they have done the same activity before, similar activities, different activities but where they are using a similar skill or idea, activities in different situations, making links to different thinks that they know? Does this sound right?

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

Yes I would agree. When we did the sinking and floating activity, one child made the link that he has to wear a life jacket when he goes sailing and that it keeps him afloat even though he can't swim.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)