Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

procedures, procedures

blondie

Hi, had a health and safety dvd today - a refresher on what we should be doing and what we actually do do.

however, one thing that came out of it is that we dont have written procedures for how we deal with bodily fluids/ spillages - also what we would do in the case of a spillage of hazardous fluids on someone / someone drinking hazardous fluids.

we all just do it - does anyone have written procedures on these i could have a look at please?

thank you x

We just have a point in the health and safety policy saying bodily fluids must be cleared up using gloves etc. and disposed of with the nappy waste

We have the same - COSHH sheets in a folder to hand if needed, H and S policy etc. But we also have a written procedure on what to do if a child vomits or has a toilet 'accident'. It's quite personal to our setting so not really worth sharing but it's just bullet points saying things like deal with it calmly and quickly, ask of another adult to help if needed, wear gloves, put soiled clothes in a carrier bag, offer water to sip, contact parents if necessary etc etc. It's laminated and stuck to the wall in the toilets.

We have all the Coshh and data sheets for hazardous substances which go into what happens if they drink etc? And a nappy changing procedure but no we don't have a procedure for clearing up sick etc!!

Gosh, I don't have any Coshh sheets for anything - actually can't remember being told this on H&S training either!

Where do you get these from?

Google mainly!!! Or suppliers - we get some stuff from gompels so they have all the data sheets on their website. A lot of the other stuff like bleach, dettol, Milton we just buy from tesco so I just google the data sheets for these and they're readily available. I then just print - it tells you hazards and what to do if swallowed etc although I have to say thankfully we are yet to use them! Also things like pva glue, shaving foam have them too.

Google mainly!!! Or suppliers - we get some stuff from gompels so they have all the data sheets on their website. A lot of the other stuff like bleach, dettol, Milton we just buy from tesco so I just google the data sheets for these and they're readily available. I then just print - it tells you hazards and what to do if swallowed etc although I have to say thankfully we are yet to use them! Also things like pva glue, shaving foam have them too.

Thanks for that something else to put on a to-do list!

Guest sn0wdr0p

For thr cleaning fluids I buy from ASDA I just phoned their customer service department and they emailed them to me.

I give all the data sheets a number and label all the bottles with the corresponding number so the correct sheet can be found quickly if needed. I put the list up on the door of the cleaning cupboard and the sheets are easily accessible in my office. Staff know that if there was ever a problem and someone had to go to the hospital as the result of contact with a fluid then the correct sheet must be pulled out and taken to the hospital with the patient.

For thr cleaning fluids I buy from ASDA I just phoned their customer service department and they emailed them to me.I give all the data sheets a number and label all the bottles with the corresponding number so the correct sheet can be found quickly if needed. I put the list up on the door of the cleaning cupboard and the sheets are easily accessible in my office. Staff know that if there was ever a problem and someone had to go to the hospital as the result of contact with a fluid then the correct sheet must be pulled out and taken to the hospital with the patient.

Very thorough snowdrop! Thank you for your help & advice

One of our policies included:

"Staff will all wear the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (gloves and apron) when changing nappies, toileting children and dealing with any other bodily fluids. Staff are requested to dispose of these in the appropriate manner (nappy bin) and wash their hands and the children's hands immediately"