Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Behaviour Log

MegaMum

Hi

Just updating a few documents as you do on a rainy Bank Holiday and I was wondering if any of you keep a simple log sheet of behaviour?

We have a long form but it is really in depth detailing the behaviour, actions taken etc. etc. but I don't use it for everything and tend to fill it in if behaviour is really bad (i.e. many occurrences through the session) as if we recorded every single thing that transpires each day we could end up doing nothing else other than paperwork by the time you include accidents/incidents/nappy logs etc.

I'm looking for something simple, just so it's recorded. Thanks.

We don't log behaviour, if it's particularly bad we just fill in an incident report! Some days you'd would be writing all day if you did!!!!

Yes, I agree - we do an incident form too; I suppose it's just about monitoring the forms - same child too often may need support?

We have accident/incident forms, and you mark the appropriate need - these are used for 'one off' incidents.

We then use similar to Pimms ABC sheet if the behaviour is repeated, or needs monitoring in more depth.

Thanks everyone. I have a child who transferred from another setting last term, (inappropriate behaviour, but parents deemed it was the setting!) but is going to school this year otherwise I would have 1:1 support brought in. Senco etc. have been in, but all support in our area moves at a snails pace. I do write up incident reports, but not for everything, as my whole day would be spent on just that child and for the other children's safety we need to keep a vigilant eye on him.

I think for the remainder of the child's time with us I will use the ABC form. I need to record for our sake but more importantly I don't want Mum to think it's been a good day if there isn't something to sign, (although we talk about the behaviour at the end of each session) because it's never a good day, it is more about how extreme the behaviour has been!

We would only get the mum to sign incident forms. We don't ask them to sign ABC charts as we regard these as a tool for us to help us to identify what may 'spark off' the behaviour - tiredness / hunger / an unpopular activity / presence of another particular child /etc,

The only other thing I might do is log the incidents so I know how often they are happening - which would also become an overview.

We do the same as gruffalo. I log the ABCs on to a simplified table on A4 sheet - this gives a quick overview of any patterns.

We do not get parents to sigh the ABC- but they are free to look at them at any time.

My sympathy goes out to you megamum, it's very draining isn't it?.... especially at this time of year when you want to have lots of fun with the leavers..... :(.

At the moment, we are currently using a diary as well with our little one - it does take up a little time doing it- but we also add the mood he comes in, whether or not he appears tired or wired up etc. Actually it's not that time consuming- as long as you get ALL STAFF to complete it, parents are also able to look at this.

xxx

we get parents to sign our behaviour book if the behaviour has damaged the setting/another child or a member of staff!!

abc charts are used to find out why they are behaving like this (and there will be a why!)

I would try to give Mum some good news in a day too if poss ...poor womans probably fed up with people saying how bad her child is :( even if it's a little thing....can you give him a special job? like water the plants or put the snack cups out?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)