Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How long to sit?

Hi

I cover PPA in YR and currently do PSED as a circle time. It is a large class so they split into 2 groups -half with me, half with the TA. I take the 2 groups out of the class to do circle time. It has been suggested ( don't ask! :blink: :blink: :huh: :huh: ) that I keep each group out as long as possible ( the rest of the afternoon is freeflow). I am finding that the children are struggling to sit and concentrate ( it's a Friday afternoon) and feel it needs to be short and to the point, not pointlessly drawn out/

So, Reception teachers, at this stage in the year how long is too long sitting doing circle time/story linked to it? I remember when we had out Nursery ECERs the Adviser suggesting children could only be expected sit for so many minutes for each year of age roughly but cant remember how much it was or where it came from!!

Any ideas?!

Im not sure this is right but they told us when I was training that children can only concentrate for one minute for each year old they are, so five year olds can only concentrate for 5 minutes before they need to do so something active. Why have they asked you to drag it out? Surely that will only make Friday afternoons stressful for both you and the children! x

ofsted said children should not be sitting any longer than 15 mins at the start of reception. not sure how long this time of year. 20/25 mins max? when i was alone in the afternoon with 30 children in reception in my last school i kept them on the carpet as long as poss sometimes as it was easier!!

Maybe you could turn it into a meditation/relaxation exercise. On a completely different tack when ours get a little hot to handle to calm proceedings we play the odd game such as sleeping lions, but with a twist, we send one or two children out of the room and get one or two to hide under a blanket. First two come back in and from clues have to guess who is missing. By the time they have all had a go the room is decidedly quieter.

• Like 2

Hi

Im not sure this is right but they told us when I was training that children can only concentrate for one minute for each year old they are, so five year olds can only concentrate for 5 minutes before they need to do so something active. Why have they asked you to drag it out? Surely that will only make Friday afternoons stressful for both you and the children! x

I was asked to drag it out because the TA found it stressful having 30 Reception altogether on a Friday afternoon (I kid you not!).

Sorted now so it will be shorted and snappier with more freeflow time. The TA will no doubt have a headache!! :blink:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)