Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas for gifts

I'm not sure if this is really the correct forum for this post, I am really excited as I am lucky enough to be going to South Africa in 2 weeks . My school has a link with a school there and for me this is a dream come true. Whilst there I will be visiting Crèches in townships run by local mums , I have been asked to take gifts with me , I have to be careful not to go over my baggage limit and wondered if anyone has ideas of what I could take ? Obviously the lighter the better. Any suggestions would be appreciated

thank you -_-

Colouring pencils, pens, notebooks...you'll love it. I've visited schools in SA and in south and central america and it's always inspiring. as DHT I had a photo in my office of a small child in the tiniest role play area in a reed built hut on an Island in lake Titicaca - every unruly child in the school got the lecture about how precious education was and had to consider the photo!!

Cx

• Like 2

Sewing needles and threads, one of our mums went last year and she was asked for these, so the girls can make their own clothes. But yes, also pencils, coloured pencils ( and sharpeners) erasers, Be careful to check the area you are going to. I wanted to give the pencils etc, but also some nice beads and hair stuff , but we were told not to, as they didn't want the girls to look too pretty as this might attract unwanted attention. Very sad, but a harsh fact of life.

Thank you so much !! I would never have thought of needles and thread OR nail polish for the adults , I'm off to the shops today , thanks again , and thank you Narnia for the tip about the hair things, I'll check first ................SO excited !!

To be honest, if you have been told that nail polish is ok, hair things will probably be too. The lady from our group was going to a very deprived area, she took hand sewing machines and pillow cases which would be made into dresses for the children ( just the right average size, apparantly, but they MUST be cotton, due to the heat etc)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)