Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

staffing levels

we currently have 2 staff at level nvq3, my question is when we are free flowing inside and out, do we need one level 3 outside and one inside at all times?

There is of course other staff either outside or inside but they only have nvq level 2.

As one of our staff memebers states we need to at all times?

.27 Staffing arrangements must meet the needs of all children and ensure

their safety. Providers must ensure that children are adequately supervised

and decide how to deploy staff to ensure children’s needs are met. Providers

must inform parents and/or carers about staff deployment, and, when relevant

and practical, aim to involve them in these decisions. Children must usually be

within sight and hearing of staff and always within sight or hearing.

It does not state level 3 , we use Walkie talkies to communicate and all staff are first aid trained

I've looked through the requirements and found the same as you Lashes - nothing about the children having to be within the sight or hearing of a level 3 qualified person.

My understanding, which now seems to be a misunderstanding, came from what I was told by a Development Officer and former Ofsted inspector. She said that I couldn't let the 7 or 8 children we had on a day be supervised by my level 2 qualified colleague during a meeting, where we would be inside and the group outside, 50 metres away.

Edited by Wildflowers
  • Like 1

The situation was that we had to have our yearly meeting, so I suggested that the development officer and I discussed inside, where we could keep papers dry whilst my colleague was outside the building with the children. I find the Forum the best source of advice. Since joining, I've stopped calling the county early years people or Ofsted with my questions. Advisors have caused me a lot of confusion and frustration over the 10 years I've worked with children...

Walkie-talkies could be a great idea when outside. (We used them for a while and found that they weren't right for us though...)

Edited by Wildflowers
  • Like 1