Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Brain Gym

Hi Twinkle -

If you click on the 'search forum posts' link at the top right of your screen you'll find a load of conversations on brain gym themes. It hasn't been discussed so much recently, but there's a good long one from some time ago, which you can find here. It features some contributions from long time FSF member/moderator Nicola Call, and a number of text references.

I'm not trying to stop new contributions - just giving you something to go on in the meantime! :)

Thanks steve, :)

i tried a search but to no avail, may have done it in the wrong place :o

will have another try as you suggest,

thanks again!

Twinkle*

xD

There's a really good book called the thinking child which has lots of ideas for brain gym activities and VAK learning.

One activity is to get the children to pat their heads and rubs their tummies and then change to rubbing their head and patting their stomach.

Another activity is to sind nursery rhymes and miss out lines getting the children to hum.

Many brain gym activities most of us do already...and when you read it you'll realise you do too (things like air writing etc)

Hi Purplecat -

Absolutely - The Thinking Child is by Nicola, and I think is referred to in the conversation I linked to above. :)

It's also listed in our book recommendations page (Resources item on the left hand menu) if you need a link to it Twinkle! :)

Hi,

I was given to types of the thinking child books and found them so addictive. I've tried alot of the ideas and alot work. It's a refreshing book because it makes you realise how easy it is is to put these ideas into place and include all learning styles and all children.....but i'm not saying it's easy!

does anyone have any info/activities based on this to get me started?

Many many thanks to anyone who replies!  :)

Twinkle*

41501[/snapback]

I am a qualified Brain Gym practioner and have lots of activities unfortunately they are at school but I will scan and post after half term.(bit difficult to explain)

some ideas to get started

Simple things like cross crawl ..... marching on the spot while touching the right hand to the left kneeand left hand to right knee alternaively.

double doodles using a pen in each hand mirror doodle on white board or large sheets of paper

lazy 8s holding arm to side of the face (elephants trunk) form a figure 8 lying on its side

cooks hooks

cross legs cross arms and hold your own hands zip up to chin and breath deeply

Thank you Marion :) , Purplecat :) and Steve :)

i'm looking forward to getting started. :D:D

would you reccommend doing it at every opportunity, will definately be doing it first thing, and what about incorporating it into beginning of PE??? Large space in hall would help maybe for certain excercises??

:o

thanks twinkle*

xD:):(:):(:):(:)

I have our put together a brain gym file of exercises which I can e-mail you if that helps. You could then personalise them for your setting! We use them as a warm up every morning for between 5-15 minutes and everyone loves them. We have noticed a huge difference across the ability groups.

I just copy and paste the web page title thingy into the message

But there might be another way to do it :o

Hope you understand that! (Its the bit where you type the web address in - highlight it when you get the page you want and copy - then paste it into your message)

Jo

Edited by Guest

Thanks ASPK & Jo1

The cards are great, will print off and laminate as soon as i get back next week! will make copies for other staff members and earn brownie points with head!!!

Thanks guys!

Love Twinkle*

Or you can set the link up using text, such as here - all you need do is click the little box marked 'http://' (above the dialogue box when you're writing a post). You then type or paste in the internet link, then in the next box type in the text you want to be hyperlinked (eg 'here'). It sounds more difficult than it is! :)

Haven't looked at the brain gym cards - but I trust you all so much I've downloaded them and will print them off tomorrow.

I love new ideas and so am looking forward to seeing them.

Thanks ASPK and Jo

Harricroft

thank you to all who have responded.

to begin with i had a vague idea of what it was all about, and "had a go" at some basic movements i thought might be on the right lines!

Thanks to all your kind replies, my understanding of the topic is clearer and I now have the resources in which to start it off next week :D the children will be thrilled!

(sorry that sounded at bit like an acceptance speech!!! Although i would like to thank my mum and dad too!)

lots of love Twinkle*

:D

I have our put together a brain gym file of exercises which I can e-mail you if that helps.  You could then personalise them for your setting!  We use them as a warm up every morning for between 5-15 minutes and everyone loves them.  We have noticed a huge difference across the ability groups.

41546[/snapback]

Hi Tina Could you please send me a file too as I am a NQT so every little helps .

Thanks

Zainab

Hi ya!

I am currently researching the impact of brain gym activities within the classroom. I would love to hear from anyone who has experience of using brain gym. I have attached a quick and simple questionnaire that would really help me with my data collection. If you have a couple of minutes spare, please fill one in!!!!! :D

Questionnaire.doc

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...
Hi ya!

I am currently researching the impact of brain gym activities within the classroom.  I would love to hear from anyone who has experience of using brain gym.  I have attached a quick and simple questionnaire that would really help me with my data collection.  If you have a couple of minutes spare, please fill one in!!!!!  :D

41731[/snapback]

Questionnaire.doc

I have our put together a brain gym file of exercises which I can e-mail you if that helps.  You could then personalise them for your setting!  We use them as a warm up every morning for between 5-15 minutes and everyone loves them.  We have noticed a huge difference across the ability groups.

41546[/snapback]

Tina Y please could you send me a copy of your file as we are trying to incorporate brain gym into the day.

Thanks

MelC

Just a recommendation, the norfolk brain gym cards are fab!! I use Disco Dice every week before we go to P.E and have it as a warm up session too. The children love doing it to Thunderbirds and they always tell me if I get the moves wrong

Hmmm they aren't there! Have had a good old trawl through. If the link works, there is a short pdf document on brain gym here which might be a little help?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)