Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratios - Reception lunch play

Hi!

At my independent school

at lunch break our 24 Reception children have been shunted from the appropriately ratio'd FS garden into the KS1 playground along with Y1 and Y2 due to the ever increasing numbers in Nursery.

My head believes statutory FS ratios can be relaxed at 'playtime'. I'm not so sure.

I am level 6, the TAs are level 3, the MDS is unqualified.

There are 2 of us outside - sometimes 2 x level 3s, sometimes me and a level 3 - joined later by our MDS after she has cleared up.

I wondered what other settings did about ratios in a similar playground arrangement?

and what do you all think? (I think I might lose my 30 minute lunch break everyday! :( )

Hi Aldnam.

If its a reception class, then technically you can have 30:1, as this falls under infant class size regulation. In practice many reception classes have a TA. In my experience Ive never had two people per class of reception aged children at lunch times. To be honest 2 of you outside with 24 children is well within what many will have. I'm not sure what MDS stands for, but if that makes 3 people for some of the time, then that looks like a very healthy ratio to me. What is your head suggesting? Perhaps I have misunderstood?

Of course I am assuming that this is just for the reception children and that there will be other adults also for the year one and two?

Our reception class at lunchtime go onto the playground with years one and two. Each class has a TA with them. Other than reception the TA on the playground is the level 3 TA from the class.

I don't think receptions TA is qualified, she is a level one.

There is also a play leader type person out there.

I'm really not sure about school legislation at lunchtimes.

I believe it is good practice in reception to have a teacher and level 3 but I don't think it is a law! I have never heard of the law regarding lunchtimes.

Sorry all of that was rather unhelpful to your question!!!

Edited by Scarlettangel

I'm not school and don't know about the statutory requirements but at the school my children attend Reception aged children are on the main playground at lunch time with all the other children.

We don't have a separate playground for any key stage they are altogether with the lunchtime supervisors - which in my opinion isn't many but heyho!

• Like 1

Head is suggesting that until February half term we have to observe FS ratios rigidly and from February half term when we venture into the boring flat tarmac rectangle that is the KS1 playground, we don't have to.

We're in an independent school with nursery so, paraphrased, according to the EYFS Statutory Framework, Reception have to have a ratio of 1:30 if I am present or 1:8 with the Level 3 TAs.

Does it say somewhere that playtimes are exempt from this? Is there legislation about playtimes? Anyone know?

(MDS is Mid-day supervisor. And I know I'm being pedantic but I just would like to know!)

The DfE says that ratios of staff to pupils specified in the EYFS framework apply at all times, including breaks and lunchtimes.

See the report link below Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (page 17 onwards).

For children aged three and over in maintained nurseries or nursery classes in maintained schools (except in reception classes), the requirement is that:

There must be at least one member of staff for every 13 children

At least one member of staff must be a 'school teacher'

At least one member of staff must hold a relevant level-3 qualification

The required presence of a 'school teacher' is an addition to the 2012 statutory framework. However, the revised EYFS does not change the position on breaks, short-term absence and non-contact time.

The minimum ratio (one member of staff for every 13 children) must be maintained, but teachers are not necessarily required to be present during breaks and lunchtimes.

Headteachers should exercise their professional judgement in determining what cover

Staff to pupil ratios at breaks for children outside the EYFS:

The DfE does not set a minimum supervision ratio for breaks and lunchtimes for pupils who are no longer in the EYFS. This includes reception classes in which the majority of children will reach the age of five, during the course of the school year.

The number and type of staff (teachers, teaching assistants or midday supervisors) on duty at any one time should be determined after a risk assessment. There is no specific requirement for staff on duty to be qualified teachers or support staff with certain qualifications. However, this should be taken into account in the risk assessment.

For other Key Stages, and in most reception classes, the number of staff on duty should be determined by a risk assessment.

Edited by Moorside

The DfE says that ratios of staff to pupils specified in the EYFS framework apply at all times, including breaks and lunchtimes.

'However, the revised EYFS does not change the position on breaks, short-term absence and non-contact time.

The minimum ratio (one member of staff for every 13 children) must be maintained, but teachers are not necessarily required to be present during breaks and lunchtimes.

Headteachers should exercise their professional judgement in determining what cover

Staff to pupil ratios at breaks for children outside the EYFS:

The DfE does not set a minimum supervision ratio for breaks and lunchtimes for pupils who are no longer in the EYFS. This includes reception classes in which the majority of children will reach the age of five, during the course of the school year.

The number and type of staff (teachers, teaching assistants or midday supervisors) on duty at any one time should be determined after a risk assessment. There is no specific requirement for staff on duty to be qualified teachers or support staff with certain qualifications. However, this should be taken into account in the risk assessment.

For other Key Stages, and in most reception classes, the number of staff on duty should be determined by a risk assessment.'

Moorside - please could you direct me to documentation where I'll find all this guidance about breaks, short-term absence and non-contact time and about ratios at break-times? It's not in the statutory framework is it - unless I'm missing something. Thank you so much.

I work in an independent school so it's often not the same as the maintained sector.

Thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)