Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Progress in Reception

I know tracking progress across EYFS is not the intended purpose for the assessment but as we all know Ofsted are demanding such information...

So as EYFS leader I am presenting my data as the % of children working at, below and above age expected levels at each half term in a bid to show that we are making good progress, i.e. if the number working at expected levels increaases and the number working below expected levels decreases that would show good progress.

My question is what is the expected level for each half term?

We use 30-50 months embedded/ 40-60 months being on entry to Reception...

Would you then expect the level to be 40-60 months developing by christmas?

What you expect by feb half term? it would seem reasonable that 40-60 developing is appropriate for this stage in the year but then it shows no progress for that half term if they were developing 40-60 at christmas?? If children came into reception at 40-60 months beginning, they are likely to be developing by christmas but then by feb to say they are 40-60 embedded seems early in the year to be achieveing this?

Would you expect children to be 40-60 embedded by easter? Then beginning ELG by may half term and embedded ELG by end of the year for expected progress? This of course would then only be deemed satisfactory progress?

Hope I'm making sense and someone can help me. How else are people tracking progress for a cohort?

Thanks in advance,KST

I don't know about anybody else but I only use the early learning goals as a measure at the end of the year, some of the early learning goals are embedded in the 40-60months statements and some are not. I stopped trying to guess what they wanted and just mark where the children are so quite a few of my HA are already secure 40-60 months. As there is nothing else to put on my data sheet they will be this until the end of the year!! This does not mean they are not making progress I can evidence their progress in their learning journeys there is just no way to record it on a data percentage sheet!

I am having the same problem! We use Sims to track data so each term we input where they are. the large majority are now 40-60 months developing and Sims produces all sorts of grids to show how they ahve moved through the bands each term (most of course).

BUT

today at a meeting our Head asked for the number achieving in-line with national expectations on entry and the number there now? Then she wanted a value added points type system made to show individual progress but sims already does this of sorts (without the points).

Im with KST its really tricky when the documents all say dont do paperwork and assessments for the sake of paperwork but your head says something else! Look forward to keeping an eye on this post..............

I don't know about anybody else but I only use the early learning goals as a measure at the end of the year, some of the early learning goals are embedded in the 40-60months statements and some are not. I stopped trying to guess what they wanted and just mark where the children are so quite a few of my HA are already secure 40-60 months. As there is nothing else to put on my data sheet they will be this until the end of the year!! This does not mean they are not making progress I can evidence their progress in their learning journeys there is just no way to record it on a data percentage sheet!

Wouldn't you track to say they have attained the ELG and then to exceeding if that is where they are?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tinkerbell

Twisted ficus

My head teacher wants the same information as yours! We have the SIP who wanted the head teacher to show her the reception children's progress in numerical format!!!! We do sims too. I told my head teacher I couldn't do it /wouldn't invent something for the sake of it when I can tell any one where the children have come from and where they are on sims and with evidence in their learning journals ( I even have a paper copy of each area and where the child started and have highlighted each half term)

Anyway the SIP came in on Friday and the head teacher said she has given her a form to fill in , so I will see what it is on monday and let you know if you are interested?

Playing devil's advocate a bit.....attainment on entry is no longer 40-60entering. In OFSTED speak it is 'the typical level of development' so that makes it even harder to judge what is 'typical' as nobody really knows and OFSTED certainly don't. It also makes it difficult to track progress. Oh joy. Thank goodness I've had OFSTED as it is a massive time of uncertainty in early years.

Playing devil's advocate a bit.....attainment on entry is no longer 40-60entering. In OFSTED speak it is 'the typical level of development' so that makes it even harder to judge what is 'typical' as nobody really knows and OFSTED certainly don't. It also makes it difficult to track progress. Oh joy. Thank goodness I've had OFSTED as it is a massive time of uncertainty in early years.

I say that as a child comes into reception at a minimum 48 months old then in 40 - 60+ would be typical for their age. The oldest child coming in would be 60 months so should definitely be in 40 - 60+. You could say the youngest might still be in 30 - 50 but they would be off track for the ELG if they were really.

Children of 48 - 60+ months as your age range should have them in 40 - 60+ as the assessment band in order to meet the expected ELG by the end of the phase.

Look at ages in months and it makes more sense. Ofsted's guidance is less specific but means the same thing!

some of the early learning goals are embedded in the 40-60months statements and some are not.

The ELGs are all embedded in and relate to the statutory education programme - even if the skills are not stated in the non statutory guidance docs/age band they are actually still there!

Cx

Edited by catma
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)