Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A question for managers

I'm the manager of a pre school and I have a question for other managers.

How much input does the setting owner have? Do you get a lot of support? Do they come in and spend time working there at all? Do you rely on them for advice?

Very interested to find out about this!

I'm currently owner/manager of a setting but have plans eventually to open a second setting and both will have managers, but I will do a couple of days at each setting each week (well that's the plan at the moment). I feel that staff and managers need as much support as possible from an owner providing they can give it. I think they should be there if you need advice.

Does the owner have any childcare experience? Are you the manager because they can't be due to lack of childcare qualifications?

Hope this helps

The owner isn't qualified so couldn't be the manager.

We can go weeks without seeing her, think 10 weeks was the record and whilst we're fine I just sometimes feel a bit abandoned!

I find myself doing all the extra bits and worrying about the place (all the things an owner would probably do seeing as the business is their baby!)

I feel the more I do the more she takes it for granted but if I don't do it then who will?!

Sorry.....didn't mean for it to turn into a moan.

I think you have been placed in an impossible position, no wonder you feel taken for granted. Being trusted to run the place is one thing but as you say, it shouldn't be you running around doing the extras and worrying about the place. Keep a work diary, when you feel you have enough evidence outside your remit as manager have a word with the owner let her know that you feel under appreciated and taken for granted.

Just an edit to say I'm an owner/manager I know what extras you are probably doing and how much you can worry!

Edited by Panders
  • Like 2

The owner isn't qualified so couldn't be the manager.

We can go weeks without seeing her, think 10 weeks was the record and whilst we're fine I just sometimes feel a bit abandoned!

I find myself doing all the extra bits and worrying about the place (all the things an owner would probably do seeing as the business is their baby!)

I feel the more I do the more she takes it for granted but if I don't do it then who will?!

Sorry.....didn't mean for it to turn into a moan.

Could have wrote the last bit of your post myself, and our owner is in four days a week

Panders....I think a work diary is a great idea. I'm going to start doing that.

I fully understand that being a nursery manager means doing some work outside of work time, I accept it as part of the job but I feel weighed down by it all.

All I want is to see the owner put as much time, effort, love and not forgetting the blood, sweat and tears, into the nursery as i am. I believe in team work and I'm not getting it and I can feel

myself getting more and more fed up each day

and then I get cross at myself for being miserable because usually I'm a very positive person......believe it or not!!! Haha.

Thanks for the replies everyone :)