Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help needed with new child who won't play independently

rowenaleppard

I work in an international school and have a class of 15 children from the age of 2-4 years all in one classroom. I have a new boy who started about 5 weeks ago, he is 2 and a half and so far he does not self initiate any activities, I have to take him to a toy/activity and help him play. He doesn't speak in the setting but speaks a lot at home according to his parents. He just follows me around all day, even if we are playing cars and I get up to get a drink of water he follows me! I was hoping by now he would have begun to get used to the setting and feel more confident. Is this normal for 2 year old behaviour? I have only ever taught reception and higher before, so this is a new experience for me. I have another 2 year old who accesses everything in the setting independently and plays with the others. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Edited by rowenaleppard

i work in a preschool....this is typical of some of our new starters. Some just need extra support to settle, it may take weeks for them to gain the confidence, some of mine will follow me everywhere when I am moving around the setting, your little chap will need support to get engaged into activities . I try to find the resources they really love and introduce them, stay close and eventually you should be able to move away. I try to introduce another child into the play so that they can focus on that, It may take a few weeks or even months, its all part of the settling in process. Some come into preschool from day one and are independent and can choose their own activities. I am sure with time he will settle..the speech issue is something you may have to seek outside support for if the parents are concerned, we have a couple of children who are very quiet at the setting but fine at home.

hope that helps x

Poor little lad :) I remember one little girl who followed me around so much I trod on her and knocked her over half a dozen times. I felt awful but she was always so close it was difficult to avoid her. I'm sure he'll settle eventually, give him little jobs to do like give someone a message fetch a pencil, put something in the bin, anything to help him leave your side, he might suddenly realise its not so bad :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)