Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Identify and use instructional vocabulary

Hi Ewar1212

Children usually really love instructions and the opportunity to do a bit of role reversal. Simon Says is a great starter or Georges Gym from letters and sounds. You can then deconstruct the instructions that they have been given. You could create a fictional character that is going to visit- my class are currently very excited about a monster that has been leaving notes and making a mess in our learning environment- I used him as a PSED device to write and revisit rules- but with a different character they could have to give them instructions- going over bossy verbs if they are ready! - I teach verbs with actions- doing/happening/being so that they have the auditory and the action to link together. We then act out verbs and do a sort of charades with them.

Activities can easily be differentiated- Use roamer devices such as the bee bots to give a practical application - i.e. can they make it go through the tunnel, to the book, near the chair ( create mazes and working in pairs) One child giving the instruction etc. This can be replicated in the outside area- challenge them to try and use instructional language to build a den, a camper van, a bridge.

Not sure that this is helpful! :1b

Instructions are great and can be practical in so many ways BUT has your LO been given to you as I think it might be a little too complicated for one lesson? Can you simplify or break it down into more easily obtained steps for your lesson?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)