Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Got A Job

Rea

Had an interview yesterday for general assistant with the family learning courses. Just phoned me. I got the job. :D:D:D I'm so excited :D especially as I thought I'd muffed the interview :o . I can now access free tutor training while I work alongside the tutors. Always wanted to do it and I just cant speak clearly at the moment. Hubby heard incomprehensible drivel when I phoned him. xD:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

VERY, VERY PLEASED FOR YOU!

:D - Congratulations and well done!

I've actually been following what you're doing ........ I want to know what sort of life there is after being a Pre-school Leader! (Other than the local hosp/nursing home/rest home - I was just going to delete that last bit, but I'm not going to !!!!!!!)

Clever girl you!

janice

Still going round with a silly big grin on my face. :D

Janice, I thought like you at first but I remember my tutor many yrs ago saying how she always wanted to teach adults and it was strange that the best way into it was through working in childcare first.

A nursing home is a very worthwhile job, but before going down that route be warned, my mom did it and always smelt of relgex! :o

Rea my dear ..... I didn't mean working in a rest home/nursing home etc.... I meant being a resident of .... sorry for the confusion !!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm half way there already! :D

janice :o

Dear Rea

How fantastic - I went for an interview today and like you feel that I completely fluffed it - my presentation went fine but my actually interview - well you would have thought I had left my brain behind along with my ability to speak any sort of sense. So I am taking on board the fact that you thought you didn't do terribly well at the interview in the hope that there may be aglimmer of hope for me.

When do you start? I am sure it will be great - good luck

Nikki

Hi rea -

Well done you!!!!!!!! Does the job entail using the computer? xD

No, really pleased and free Tutor training a huge bonus. I'm sure you'll make a great one, it's a bit scary at first :o , but OH!! the buzz :(

Sue :D

Nikki, I hope you get the job. I felt my lips and legs quivering throughout the interview and when they asked how I would ensure Health and safety I said 'Erm, I dont know'!!! Felt like complete fool, and had to study the carpet for the answer. Looked blank a few times and said 'Erm' a lot, but I can only presume interviewers can see through idiocy.

Sue, if computers are involved I'll have to study the carpet again :D:D

Rea, fantastic news :D:D:D

The fact that you have childcare and education experience doesn't just enhance your ability to teach adults the "subject" matter, it gives you the, what I call, "transferable skills" of knowing the different ways in which people learn, knowing the variety of ways that we assess that learning has taken place, group dynamics, presentation skills etc etc etc.

I would highly recommend doing your Cert Ed, ( Certificate in Education-post compulsory) after your tutor training ( is this with the PLA?)

I did my City & Guilds 730 (yr 1) with PLA and with this I got straight into Yr 2 of the Cert Ed. A lot of the theory behind adult teaching skills are based on the theories of Rousseau, Aristotle etc which I learnt in my early days of childcare training. Other students on my Cert Ed ( from mechanics to hairdressers to accountants etc) found the theory of teaching the most difficult part of the course. But because of my background I found it much easier. And I am sure you will too.

Good luck,

let us know how you get on won't you.

Peggy

p.s. I must admit out of all the jobs I have done within early years to date, I do really miss my tutoring days, it gives you a lot of job satisfaction.

Well done Rea!

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself immensely: I love teaching and I learn a lot from my students - as Peggy says you never stop learning!

Congratulations to you: and good luck with your studies!

Maz

PS If you have to keep a professional development journal, do it religiously throughout your course. Don't do what I've done and leave it until the end - learn from my mistake!!

And just to add, I 've also got my first supply job :D

Luckily it's at the nursery my friend manages, unluckily the ironing is never going to get done :o

Thanks for all your messages, :D I'm still on cloud 9 :D

Rea,

I'm just catching up on the posts. (I am in holiday mode at the moment and have been avoiding work stuff :D ) Congratulations on the job. Keep us informed as to how it's all going. :) And don't worry about the computer stuff - you've always got Sue to help you out. :oxD