Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Boys playing killing monster games!

I work in an early years unit (predominantly boys). They want to run around killing monsters. We give a range of construction and try to direct them but they continue to make guns to kill monsters! They relate everything back to killing monsters. The only time they don't play monsters is when an adult is directing them, but there isn't enough staff to play with them all of the time! They also need child initiated time!

I also have a couple of children that are fascinated by monsters! Has anyone done a topic on monsters or something similar?

Any ideas, PLEASE!

Thanks

Ha ha boys and girls love monsters and guns at the moment , we don't discourage but try to engage with it and make what may seem to others as annoying play into a channel for exploring and learning whilst playing . How about Ben 10 , characters are monsters , make a monster from junk or playdough and knock them down , a monster mash dance , books about monsters , a large monster paint using water guns with paint the list is endless

Today I told the story of nian the monster using puppets and a paper bag monster , children loved it and asked for it to be repeated , they were encouraged to make their own paper bag monsters and have enjoyed re enacting the story outside using tins and playing ' what's the time monster'

Love the idea of the story of Nian and linking it to Chinese New Year. This should be a good way to channel some of their energy. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

You can also try linking it to Aliens and space monsters - Aliens love underpants always gets a great response and produces some fantastic independent play,

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)