Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

new breakfast club opening at school

Hi all

Im a childminder and drop off/collect from the local primary school.

All the children came home last night with a letter saying that they are setting up a breakfast club at school which opens at 8am. The letter had a tear off slip for people who were interested to return and asking how much they pay for current before school child care so they can see if its viable to open the club. Personally I think this is so they can undercut myself and the other child minder who drop off there.

My problem is that I now have at least 2 children who will probably leave to use this breakfast club. Its going to greatly affect my business. I saw one of the reply slips that a child was taking in this morning. It said that they would like it to be open from 7.30am. If this happens it could take all of my morning business. It wouldn't be worth child minding anymore.

Has anyone else had this and how did you cope with it? I lay awake worrying last night. I just don't know what to do.

Thank you in advance

It also said in the letter that a number of parents had asked for this service so it will be viable for them to do it.

Myself and the other childminder are always at school and are well known so cant understand why we were not aware of all these other children needing child care.

Edited by JoanneLouise

Oh dear Joanne, could you 'sell' yours to parents as having a more homely, personal, family feel? We have a new 3rd school opening in our town, my nursery was planning on running a collection and drop off for it but now it seems as its new and they've got lots of money they'll be running one in school. I'm hoping to 'sell' ours to potential families as we do have a cosy lounge feel to our out of school room at nursery, we don't have a great number of children and they'd also be able to see siblings if we have them. But if we only have one or 2 it won't be financially viable...

I might be wrong, but aren't most schools being pushed to have longer opening times?

All of my 7 feeder schools have at least 7:30am - 5:30pm cover as a minimum.

Even parents who chose a childminder for their little ones in their Early Years seem to move to the school 'wraparound' service once they start school full time.

I would push the homely feel and smaller ratios line - or perhaps you could move your start / finish before / after school times to make it even more appealing to parents?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)