Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Insurance question

At our setting we have a child with very extreme anger issues. He has had a really rough time before the family moved to us (can't really go into details) and this is showing in very violent tantrums both with us and at home. This means throwing anything he can get his hands on and targeting other people, adults and children, and also windows etc, anything that gets an effect basically.

We are working on strategies with mum and outside help and hope that may calm things down as soon as possible. However, in the meantime, as the manager, I have the nagging worry about what happens if he really hurts some one (quite likely himself) or breaks a window etc. We know he is a danger so do we just have to risk assess him for what we do while he is tantruming? When it is at its most extreme we do call mum to come but it always takes her a while to get there. Now the tantrums are lasting an hour or so and although he is destroying lots of things, so far they are small and replaceable.

We really want to help this family but what if he seriously hurts someone? I have been hit in the face a few times already but luckily have survived fairly unhurt. A few helpful words of wisdom might help me get a bit more sleep over the holidays!

This isn't something I've ever had to deal with (well not on this scale, anyway). I'd be inclined to speak to my Local Authority for support, and also check with the insurance company to make sure you're covered for any damage to property.

Good luck with getting this little chap and his family the support he needs.

In terms of insurance your employers public liability and public liability should cover you but check with insurers on this , don't assume. In terms of the child who is having emotional difficulties, is your setting and staff able to cope ? Are you getting the support needed and has he been assessed , can you apply for crisis funding to give home extra support ? It is so difficult for staff and other children and often the child is alienated because of this

This is difficult ot advise on when i dont know the background but i would suggest doing ABC charts to work out why he is throwing tantrums ...which will help you to identify where he needs more support. Can you get temporary 1-1 for him? when he tantrums is there a space where you can remove him to that is away from others and more safe? Then either he will need to be ignored (if its attention seeking) or supported and do what they call time in rather than time out.....this means he gets lots of support in a quiet and calm place until you have talked through the situation (how old is he??) Camhs may well be able to advise if you ring them.how are the parents handling the situation?

Record his tantrums and get the parents to sign so that you can see if there are any patterns ...tell the parents you are going to do this and why so that they know it is for positive reasons not negative!

• Like 1

We have got support and so do the family at home, although it is early days so there is lots of work to do.

His key worker is doing all these things and we are getting extra behaviour training for everyone soon.

It really is hard to think of it in terms of the business side but I feel like that is what I am for having made sure that the other sides have been considered.

• Like 1