Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baselining

Do you collect evidence when you baseline your new starters? Its just I collate observations etc for their learning journals as I go along from day 1 but I don't collect it specifically for their baselines. I baseline by speaking with previous settings, parents, looking at evidence from their previous setting and observing them over a period of 6 weeks. In other key stages staff collate evidence and I am being asked for mine. I just wondered what other practitioners do.

Hi Aunt Sally.

Surely your observations, and consultations with other settings, parents etc IS your evidence? I'm not really sure what else you are being asked to do? Is there something you feel is missing, or is it that others in your schools don't understand the nature of 'evidence' as seen by EYFS eyes? Or something else perhaps?

• Like 1

There isn't an understanding of evidence in eyfs and that sometimes its not all written on a piece of paper. Sometimes even though you are doing everything you should be doing be you question yourself when trying to fit in with the remit of a top down model. I believe I am doing everything I should be but just wanted to double check I'm not losing the plot ;) and that others don't collect reams of evidence.

I know what you mean Sally, it can be tough going especially if you are a lone EYFS voice within a school that, as you say, has a very top down model. You do start to question yourself, so its good we have here to come and ask others.

Can you wave the EYFSP handbook (2014) under the noses of your powers that be. It does make it very clear what is evidence and that it doesn't require lots of writing things down.

Good luck with your quest.

I agree. I find in pupil progress meetings when my head wants to review my evidence -that most of our SLT glaze over if I keep talking to them- which I do after pointing out that my in-depth knowledge of the children is evidence. As any Early Years Advisor would tell them,

but its hard for them to understand...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)