Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numbers and letters in the outdoor environment

Hello

I'm after putting more numbers and letters outside. I have a number line, alphabet line, we have numbers dotted around for how many children at activities etc, but am looking to introduce more visual letters and numbers...

Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks ;)

Put number as vehicle registration plates on your bikes etc? We have also put numbers in a tree in our little patch of garen. Mark out parking spaces which are numbered; number the steps to the building if you have any; hide numbered animals for the children to find; hide numbers in ice and watch how they melt ( or not if it's very cold!)

I have number-lines using the children holding the corresponding numeral card. Also have build towers with bricks and again put the corresponding numeral next to the photo. We also have numbered parking bays and numbered bikes as others. We do need to put some letters outside - next job!

Green Hippo x

You could chalk a hopscotch grid or numbers with arrows for children to follow on the ground, then you can keep changing it as the rain washes it away! Our children also love being 'number detectives' - looking for numbers we've previously stuck up inside and outside. You can differentiate by making the numbers different colours to help with identification and giving a choice of ticking numbers off on a clipboard or collecting in a basket & counting up at the end. :1b

You could write numerals/letters on natural materials - e.g. pebbles or cross sections of small logs. We have numbered fairy doors

and hanging mirror numerals. Also numbered bunting and numbered magnetic fish for the children to catch with their rods.

Some lovely ideas on this thread!

Guest sn0wdr0p

We use builders line marking spray and have a hopscotch, numbers, simple sums (1+1=) for the children to complete with their own chalk, flowers with numbered petals (only because they are easy to spray as I am not very artisitic) etc. The spray wears off after a few months. You can get it from B & Q or any builders merchants.

We also print numbers on our current theme from Sparklebox, laminate them and hang them from the trees, fences etc. I put some in order and others dotted around for the children to find a bit like a treasure hunt. The rain eventually ruins them but they last a few weeks. Our numbers in our tree at the moment are on Christmas presents, angels, elves, holly, baubles etc. so it looks rather pretty.

I would try to make this relevant to the children and their interests at the time. So in Autumn our numbers tend to revolve around ladybirds and snails, then leaves etc. ...so do they have a board to tally numbers on ? can you produce some ladybirds with different amounts of spots? if you have a sandpit can you mark numbers on buckets or lines so that they can fill up to line one/two etc

I guess what i'm saying is that the numbers should be there for a purpose....just having them dotted around the place never seems to work for me...they just become part of the furniture and the children ignore them.

I guess what i'm saying is that the numbers should be there for a purpose....just having them dotted around the place never seems to work for me...they just become part of the furniture and the children ignore them.

My children make a beeline for them - especially the fairy doors and they love looking for the natural materials with numerals.

snowdrop..................are you REALLY using sparklebox stuff?? Do you now know about their history?/ Google them and you might decide NOT to use them again. I had stuff of theirs, all laminated and lovely..............every single bit went in the bin when I discovered what the owner was jailed for

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We have some lovely wooden cookies with numbers on them

Small actimel bottles with marked numbers on them in the sand pit

Our number line we often use with the nerf gun shooting numbers great hit with all

Water bottles marked with numbers that are knocked down skittle style with a squeeze empty washing up bottle filled with water ...another great game

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)