Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff talking to parents

Looking for other perspectives on this as it is driving me mad. I have a staff member that seems to have no concept of appropriate conduct when talking to parents. She is incredibly flirtatious when talking with Dads/male carers and extremely over the top. Equally when talking to any parent she over dramatises everything. For example if she is getting an accident form signed she say " oh it was a really hard bump she vas ever so upset" when really it was a slight knock with a few tears, I fear one day this could land us in hot water. I have tried th gently gently approach with her but am getting to the point where I think I need to try something else.

It seems like a less gentle approach is needed! I would ask for a meeting, say what I had observed and what my concerns were. Her response - whether open or defensive, would determine which the next steps would be. Perhaps her contact with parents could be reduced - to give her jobs to do when children are collected, and ask parents to sign accident forms yourself?

Edited by Wildflowers

I'm afraid you just have to be blunt and tell her how you feel. Being flirty is not appropriate behaviour in a setting, it could lead to all sorts of problems with parents. I would perhaps stop her giving out the injury forms too if she can't simply say what happened. Ask her how she would feel if she was told her child had had a serious injury when in fact it was a simple graze??

She could be just unaware. Perhaps role model how it should be more appropriate,

Advice coaching and guidance and then if after that she continues then a firmer hand is needed