Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Muddy Garden

We are lucky to have a reasonably large garden which was mostly lawn when we moved into our premises two-and-a-half years ago. The first summer there was a drought and some of the grass died and/or wore away. The grass didn't grow back and we were left with a lot of muddy patches that winter. We used Safagrass matting and sowed grass seed under it the next spring. The matting is black rubber filled with holes and the grass is supposed to grow through it. It does this in the spring and summer but by late autumn (now!) mud comes through, obliterating the grass and we are left with a muddy mess.

Last spring, I pulled up all the matting with some of my staff, got all the dried mud out of the holes, re-seeded the ground with extra-tough grass seed and re-laid the mats. This was a huge job, but the grass grew and I thought we had solved the problem.

But guess what. The mud is back and our garden is now a mud slick once again. I'm so fed up with it. :angry: :(

Any suggestions?

Edited by Beehive

yes go back to supplier firstly and secondly it sounds like a drainage problem - so ground needs aerating - this can be done either by using shoes or tining fork to make holes into lawn and spread layer of sand over to improve drainage . But as i said if the product is not doing what it should then back to supplier although they will prob blame the drainage . hope that helps

I feel your pain!! I saw this matting in a car park and it seemed like the answer (it was summer though!) Bought some and it was great - til the rain came and the matting sunk in to the ground when the ground softened - killed the grass, great muddy mess grrrrr!

Artificial grass? It's sooo expensive though - will be watching this with interest (and trying the holes/drainage tip - thanks)

Thanks for your replies. I don't think Safagrass would see their mats as the problem, and probably rightly so. I guess tackling the drainage of the soil is the only option. That will involve pulling all the mats up again in the spring but if it works, it'll be worth it.! Thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)