Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Adult Ratio On School Trips?

Hi everybody! I am an NQT about to take my Reception class of 29 on a local trip to the nearby park. Does anybody know for certain what the minimum adult to child ratio is for school trips in the FS? I have been told that it is 2 adults to every child under the age of five, although during my last school placement I took a trip with a ratio of 1:4...confused :o ! Five of my children are already five, so perhaps that makes some difference. If anyone can help I'd be really grateful AS ALWAYS xxx

Susie

Do you mean 2 adults to every child under 5 - that sounds a bit extreme!!

I think, once they get to school, the ratio really changes - ie you don't need that many adults. I might be completely wrong. Could you ring your local County Council or early years advisor - they are sure to know!

I dont think theer is a cast in stone ratio, althougn Im happy to be corrected on this for reception. The guideleines simply say KS1. I think is 6:1 and R should be 'better'. We take this as 4:1 minimum. I think the 2:1 applies to even younger children? Im wracking my brian to lcoate where I hev read this quite recently

Had a little wander but all I can find so far is this:

The DfES recommends the following staffing ratios as a general guide for visits to local historical sites and museums or for local walks:

· 1 adult for every 6 pupils in school years 1 to 3 (under 5s reception classes should have a higher ratio);

There was a discussion on this Mundia and Sue, I seem to remember that although settings with U5's like to have a ratio of 1:2 on outings these were only recommended and not mandatory. It does depend on the level of maturity of the children. I went on a trip to the park with my son 7 yrs ago there was a teacher and two adults with around 25 children. YR1. and the one adult was only there to stop her asthmatic son form playing on the equipment, running, walking too fast.... A great time was had :D

Thank you everybody for being so helpful! I've talked to the FS coordinator at my school and it seems that the 1:2 ratio is determined by the school's own policy and not by the LEA. I hope it doesn't rain - my kids will be so disappointed!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)