Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor play

Does anyone use an old chimnea to extend role play outdoors? It is not something I have and I know nothing about them.

I am in the process of re-modelling our outdoor play area which is very exciting since we have had our canopy and green safety flooring (we had only concrete flooring before).

Any thoughts?

wonder how it would extend use outdoors.. assuming it is for warmth... personally I would suggest warmer and more layers of clothes.. but..

i don't have one but know someone who does.. and seen it in use.. it gets very hot.. the whole item is hot to touch in fact I would say hers gets too hot to touch.. could burn if someone touched it.. not sure if it is the same for all of them. so would need a lot of supervision and safety measures to keep children at a safe distance..

unless it is intended as an item not to be used in reality but pretend.. then would not be an issue... except cleaning it out from whatever they put inside..

Edited by Inge

Sorry - didn't make myself very clear! It is not for use as a 'warmer ' - only as a 'decorative' item and one for role play so that the children can pretend to make a fire - thinking 'forest schools' here (very loosely of course)!

anything that is a real object invokes for lots of vocab and a chimnea is a great talking point.

we have real fire in our garden and the children often replicate the gathering of wood to make their 'real' fires

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)