Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Post apprenticeship recruitment

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help with my query or share their thoughts on a situation in regard to what procedures they follow to support suitability of staff when employing an apprentice once they have completed their apprenticeship training in the setting.

The committee and supervisor have employed an apprentice who has trained in my pre-school as she has been a real asset to the team.

My query is in regard to evidencing recruitment procedures followed, in this situation, if Ofsted wish to see them. The training provider has undertaken checks, All staff complete health declarations and a review of staff suitability re any changes to DBS status and this is discussed at supervision /appraisal meetings, staff are also informed of their responsibility to report any changes to their suitability.

Many staff have been long standing employees and recruited years ago by previous pre-school committee and supervisor. There is no evidence of job applications, interview process followed, references taken up for these long standing staff members. Are references required retrospectively? Although not sure how this would work?

Does this include (character) references for apprentice employed? Even though they have been in my employ? I'm getting worried that the recruitment side of things has not been undertaken robustly enough, the previous committee seemed to be in name only and the supervisor took on a lot of responsibility for areas which should be down to management committee. Any support, ideas wouldl be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I have taken on two apprentices this year for the first time. Before I took them on they had to complete job application forms and provide referees (we took up the references) just as we would have for any member of staff. Also undertook CRB (just got in before DBS) checks and right to work in the UK stuff - again just like we would have when recruiting any other member of staff. One of the apprentices finishes in Feb 14 (we took this one on half way through her apprenticeship as she moved work places - long story) and we will prob then take her on as a fully paid up member of staff. As we have already done the recruitment stuff I can't see we will need to re-do it when that time comes.

Did the committee and supervisor not undertake normal recruitment procedures when they took the apprentice on in the first instance?

same as Sue.. any apprentice had already been through all the usual forms and checks same as any staff member before starting.. so if we has a place for them it was not an issue.. classed it as 'promotion' to qualified staff..

Hi Inge and Sue. Thank you both so much for your replies, this is really helpful. In reply Inge, I'm not clear what procedures were followed by the previous committee/supervisor, as some gaps it seems in paper work handed over. I'm a new committee member who is trying to support the setting with reviewing /updating procedures followed re recruitment and retention of staff. My to do list is getting longer, I am now thinking of the benefits of creating a handover pack for the committee. This is such a great resource here to share practice and bounce ideas off each other. Thanks again :1b

My setting is a member of the PSLA (you don't have to be to buy their publications but you get discount if you are) we have found their publication with all the downloadable stuff you need in respect of recruiting staff is a v. useful resource.

The PSLA stuff is very good... we used it too...

As to current staff... not much you can do about past problems... but get together as much as you can.. and keep doing the annual update of health declaration etc.. and set up a proper procedure for future .

I had a lot of staff without any previous info.. so put in a sheet for each one stating they had been employed from xxx date and that the documents had been lost by previous committees.. that the new procedures were in place for regular updates from now.. In my case most had been employed so long it was pre CRB and social services had done the checks.. I did ask if they needed a new check but every time I was told no need.. I did eventually do CRB, as it was at the time, for all of them, we paid for them, feeling it better to have it on record... but that said I never had one.. always worked as manager on a social service check.

I had one staff folder with a bit for each staff member holding all the info.. in one place, with a procedure in the front and a check list of what needed doing when looking for new staff.. this made it an easy handover to new committee members..

Hi Inge, thank you so much for your help and support. Your suggestion of keeping information on staff employed previously and keeping records and the details of when staff started employment, a note to refer to that previous committee have not handed over information and keeping appropriate records in place such as health checks and reviews undertaken to support on going suitability would seem to be the best thing to do given the circumstances. I think it a wise move to have new DBS checks undertaken too. The idea of devising a check list is a good idea too and will help future committees with knowledge about what needs to be in place and procedures with undertaking reviews. Thanks again, the help here on the forum is brilliant. :1b

• Like 1