Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

handas surprise/pattern/black history week

Hi everyone

I am doing Handa's surprise next week in reception..and I am planning a maths session for patterns. We did pattern a couple of weeks ago and we threaded coloured straws onto string and made necklaces, used numicon, and cubes.

This week I was thinking to make fruit printing patterns, match patterned socks on a washing line. But I wanted some more ideas about what I could do?

Just wondering if anyone can help...thank you in advance.

Sunai

If you are doing Handa's surprise could you get a piece of each of the fruit in the story? You could slice it down the middle and look at the pattern the fruit makes inside, plus a kiwi that is a lovely pattern - but check for allergies if you intend eating the kiwi.

We used to have an Elmer day, when the children all came dressed in as many patterns as they could find, it was good fun. We also made monochrome patterns and did a wall display with those, the children used either white paper or black paper with the opposite coloured paint and dipped all sorts of things in to print with and found pictures of other things that were black and whilte, like dalmations, zebras, piano, cat etc.

• Like 1

I was just going to suggest the same as sooty99. I did this a couple of weeks ago and the children were so engaged! You could hook the children by reading a letter from Handa saying that she wants to make another treat for Akeyo or another friend but needs their help!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)