Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outstanding lessons

Thanks Susan,

I had a really successful lesson basically I was teaching my class to recognise numbers 1-9 and had been reading the children the Charlie and Lola it's actually my birthday. I dressed up as lola and my TA as charlie. I gave charlie a birthday card but it had the wrong number on it. The children thought it was hilarious then I showed them the cbeebies pink flamingos -numtums. The activities included

1. Laying the table - numbered plates cakes with candles, decoration party bag problems.

2. Pass the parcel with number on the presents.

3.roll use dice and put correct amount of candles on it.

4. Birthday cards with cakes and numbers-children had to out corresponding candles on.

Plenary included putting loads of cards outside -but who had Charlie's card?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had a writing observation recently. I made dinosaur eggs (courtesy of abcdoes!) and placed in the outdoor area to be stumbled upon. The children immediately suggested sign writing to protect them as other children might touch or move them. This led to 2 hrs of sign writing (had to stop for home time!), even summer born boys asking to write with me. They also built a nest around the eggs and labelled the food and water. They wrote books for the babies to read when they woke up. The writing craze was catching and they also used post it notes to write down adjectives to go with our dinosaur swamp. I then played a video of Professor Green (my husband!) who has lost his pet pterodactyl but thinks she was heading towards our school to find somewhere to lay her eggs, have they seen any clues - cue much cheering and then letter writing! Context - reception class of 26 chn.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I really liked all the ideas for outstanding lessons - and used kl33's idea in a maths lesson recently which got rated outstanding! Its great to be able to learn about all this fantastic practise!

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the last post. I need some inspiration on Hansel and Gretel- I am doing list writing and need two more activities can any one help?

I will begin the session by pretending to be Hansel and Gretel explaining that there father has agreed to build them a new ginger bread house for being so mean. I will visit the building merchant which will be full of sweets and forget what it was her father asked them to get.. hopefully the children will suggest writing a list of all the different sweets.

group 1 : making lists of sweets to put on the gingerbread house

Need two more group activities making it all link? Any help

Sorry I hadn't got back sooner. Well my focus is list writing- have changed a few things I have decided to start session by working in a new estate agents run by Hansel and Gretel. My tA will tell me what kind of house she wants and i will forget. so I will model writing a list of sweets and things she wants in the gingerbread house

group 1: will tour a new gingerbread house and write a list of all the things its made of and its contents. (this will be outside on the stage.

Group 2: will be designing their own gingerbread house and listing items they want on it.

Group 3? something simple

To follow a trail of stones on a treasure hunt to find sweets/building materials that are hidden around the learning environment. They could then use the items to create a physical list- or to build their own house in a pre-writing activity.

A feely box with a sweet thing inside- getting them to take turns feeling and describing the item- getting them to list the words they use to describe it or even to think about how they would use it to build the house.

x

• 1 month later...

Story Book: Tom and the island of Dinaosurs - Hi folks hope everyone isn't working too hard! Just wondered if anyone had some nice literacy ideas on this books I think I will focus on writing lists of some sort any ideas?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Story Book: Tom and the island of Dinaosurs - Hi folks hope everyone isn't working too hard! Just wondered if anyone had some nice literacy ideas on this books I think I will focus on writing lists of some sort any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, i am in need of some inspiration for a uw based lesson. Our umbrella theme this term has been the octonauts and sea creatures. My initial thoughts are to have a problem to solve from Captain Barnacles...maybe some of the sea animals have become frozen and we need to rescue them. Some children could experiment with floating objects on salt water vs tap water. Im struggling to think of an over arching problem and a way to link all ice/water based activities.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Lovely lesson at Forest School acting out Goldilocks. Back in outdoor area some very indignat letters to the police listing her many crimes. Some extemely indignant language " I was horriffied to find my chair broken!" " I felt melancholy" ( word of the week) etc.

Led to some very sheepish Golidilocks and they continued playing put Goldilocks in jail all week.

• 1 month later...

Dear all I have a literacy lesson observation with HMI when I go back. I want a really good literacy lesson based on the story What ever next. I like it all interlinking need three group activities. I was thinking of captions any ideas?

The story ends with a question. Could you find a letter from Baby Bear asking them to write to him with ideas where to visit next. Could you get children to imagine they could fly in a rocket anywhere and ask them to write where they'd go who they'd meet and what they'd do when they get there? You could differentiate with the writing frames for lower ability just single words to answer where, who and what and move up from there?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)