Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

makaton again!

sorry i have 3 children using makaton at present and one of them is really into animals......he is testing my knowledge!! does anyone know the sign for

flamingo

giraffe and octopus

also am i right in thinking most birds are the same sign but you use more fingers depending on size...or do they have their own signs?

Oh and is there a sign for animals as a collective noun?

thank you ^_^

If a speech and language therapist has recommended that the children use Makaton, they should be able to help you with specific signs and possibly training. In my experience, this has usually needed some prompting from parents, due to the huge caseloads most speech and language therapists carry.

When I worked as an Area SENCO, we had copies of all the Makaton signs so we could demonstrate individual signs when needed, have you asked your early years consultants? (If you have any left!)

The link below takes you to the Makaton website where you can download the list of animals in the animal, transport and vehicle book. I can't seem flamingo there but "animals" are listed. although it's separated into farm, genera, pet, wild and zoo which could get very completed. Maybe you could order a copy from the library.

http://www.makaton.org/shop/shopping/browseStore/Animals-Transport-Vehicles

ICAN have a free helpline that may help:

I CAN Help Enquiry Service

Call 020 7843 2544 to arrange a free phone call from one of our speech and language therapists through the I CAN Help Enquiry Service or you can email your questions to help@ican.org.uk

We can help explain any aspect of children's talking and communication development that you may be concerned about.

thanks Katkat i would love to be more positive about your info but i am feeling rather put out at the moment! 2 of the salt's are private because the waiting list is SO long they have given up!. The private therapists are great but as they are paid for have a limited time with us! The other comes from a family of SALT'S!!! but i have to wait for information from them. The problem is of course that if a child wants to communicate with you then you need to have an immediate response....hence the questions!

I don't see my EYA very often and she is no expert at makaton (she would say the same herself) there is no training available.

the makaton site is limited unless i pay for their books (and i get no funding for these children so i cant afford them)

we have a connaction with ican but again it's about speed sometimes isn't it??!!

Hello Finsleymaid,

I completely understand your frustration! I've been on the Makaton website and found "Makachat" where you can post a question and people reply:

http://www.makaton.org/makachat/tutorsMessageBoard/topic/1456660

They also have a sign advisory service who you can email for specific signs. I don't know how many you can ask for and how many times you can email them but it's worth a try!

info@makaton.org

I hope this helps a little.

:rolleyes: thanks katkat ...fantastic i'll give it a go!

Hi Finleysmaid, when I needed signs for a child in our setting, I met up with the Area Senco and they printed off all the ones I needed.
Have to say we couldn't afford to buy the books either. :(

Hi fredbear......we dont have an area senco at the mo...and our eya for the LDD service has left....so not much help there then! :o

:rolleyes:

good idea though :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)