Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

cursive writing

Hi,

I have recently taken a post on in a school and to my surprise they use cursive script in reception. All the children have to learn to write in cursive writing. I personally don't like this and feel alot are struggling.

This may be just a personal opinon or do I have a point

What are people's views on this?

I suppose if that is the school policy then like it or loathe it you just have to live with it while you are there!

In my opinion, cursive writing is pretty much the same letter shapes with an extension to lead in and out! If they are struggling then maybe the teaching is going too fast for their PD skills but I've seen really competent cursive writing in reception classes at the end of the year. Lots of gross motor activities to develop the anticlockwise movements and retracing verticals is often needed in parallel to finer letter formation activities to support the shoulder movements needed as well as checking for effective tipod grips vs children still retaining palmar grips and who need activities to repress this reflex.

Cx

• Like 1

I too found it surprising in my own school and was reluctant, but as Catma said you like it or loathe it but you just go with it and I have to say for most of my children it started as a huge struggle but by the end of the year I'd say 60% were forming cursive letters and the year 1 teacher this year was really impressed, she said it has helped enormously that they already had a good foundation in it. It's just very hard work to start with - we get the messy work but higher up in school it's beautiful :) x

My son learnt cursive in reception and did really well with it.. his writing has always been lovely .. when he changed school for last year primary he was one of the few in the class that could manage clear and fast writing..

we always helped in the preschool by starting to form letters with leads in and out in when the children showed an interest in writing...and with lots of play using continuous lines , loops, swirls ..

cannot remember them now but the school gave us a rhyme for forming each of the letters giving the flow/ direction.. they all knew the rhymes before they were writing on paper and used them in play

• 1 year later...

cannot remember them now but the school gave us a rhyme for forming each of the letters giving the flow/ direction.. they all knew the rhymes before they were writing on paper and used them in play

I'm interested in the rhymes mentioned above, does anyone know what they are?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)