Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Large outdoor play equipment/climbing frame

Hi all,

Our PTA have recently expressed a wish to buy a climbing frame for the FS outdoor play area. I've never been that keen on climbing frames due to the 'closed' nature of the play that can occur on them. I would prefer seperate bits e.g. a climbing a frame, balancing logs etc that are a bit more open-ended in their nature.

What do others think? Does anyone have any suggestions of high quality play eqipment

That you could recommend?

Thanks,

Green hippo. Apologies for strange message and spelling - typing on tablet and its going a bit strange!

well i feel like you green hippo. I do not have static equipment in the garden but i have lots of planks, wooden cookies and four small benches which the children use to create the most amazing climbing courses.If i could i would have liked a fallen tree stump...but haven't manages this yet....but i have rescued several large cut offs from some local trees that were cut down. The only thing that i might add now is a set of a frames with ladder attachment (consortium) as this would add the benefit of being able to swing ..so using their arm and shoulder muscles.

If i had lots of money and space then i might get someone like 'cool canvas' in to come up with something bespoke

depends on your budget really!

well, without banging on about it...........Community Playthings have a new climbing frame out right now. It is quick and easy to put up and down, has several configurations.........I saw it 'up close and personal' at a recent visit and would love to own one. We do have planks and crates etc, but I would definately find a place for this :)

• Like 1

well, without banging on about it...........Community Playthings have a new climbing frame out right now. It is quick and easy to put up and down, has several configurations.........I saw it 'up close and personal' at a recent visit and would love to own one. We do have planks and crates etc, but I would definately find a place for this :)

It's brilliant and worth the money I'd say in a long life 10 year guarantee, designed fit for purpose and all natural materials plus a high degree of challenge and storability. If you could get this I'd say go for it. I too dislike fixed frames but this is really special!! YOu could use it every day and never have the same frame twice.

Cx

We've got the usual planks and tyres etc but also the Consortium A Frame that Finleysmaid mentioned. It is really versatile and can be adjusted for different abilities. It's also good for den making etc. It's been reduced in price too - about £100 cheaper than when we bought it a couple of years ago! :huh:

Edited by Beehive

Do you know whether the Community playthings frame (which I agree looks GREAT!) is ok to stay out in all weathers? It looks like it's ok to use on the grass? We don't really want something that we have to bring in and out all the time.

We have been quoted £4000 for a fixed frame with a similar simple set-up - a cube with a roof, space underneath, climbing (rope and blocks to hold) and a slide. We could at least use different sections of this for different purposes but it's no where near as versatile as the CPT frame but not for £4000 which I don't think the PTA will be funding anyway!!!

Green Hippo x

Certainly I wouldn't leave it out all the time, unless you had a covered area for it, BUT, and this is very special.........it takes less than TWO minutes to erect or dismantle. But Catma is right, talk to them directly, they're very very helpful and will have all the answers

We've got a community playthings climbing frame- but I wouldn't risk leaving it out? But that doesn't mean that you can't. But it is fantastic. In the catalogue it shows how you can use it for role play (as a barn with hay on the top platform, or a bakers shop- lowering the platform) very versatile!

Well if we are doing the money no object I would want a climbing structure from these guys: http://www.infiniteplaygrounds.co.uk/natural-playgrounds/natural-climbing-structures/#lightbox[gallery-1]/64/

But as it is we are also in the position of looking towards buying something to replace the (IMHO) hideous plastic monstrosity which was there before I got there! Sorry, hope that doesn't offend, just my opinion.

Mel

x

PS anyone link to the Community Playthings new frame? I can only see one which has been there a while??

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)