Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Provision advice

Looking for some ideas please.

Reception class

Outdoors we have been encouraging the children to work together to build dens. That seems to be happening but past few days some children have been using the drapes just to cover themselves on the floor. When asked what is happening they reply "We're having a sleep" I'm not sure how to move their learning on in this situation?? Or do we just leave them for the time being???

I did suggest that they might like to share a book with their friends before they sleep!

I'm sure that this must happen in other settings any ideas please?

Thanks

gretna

Homes for others/places for others to sleep - so different sized places depending on who or what it is? Homes for minibeasts they have found or small world characters?

I have had similar with mine being obsessed with the tyres - they have been very involved in making a tyre tower on top of a large tyre (helping each other roll tyres up the ramp and lifting onto tower, then helping each other to keep the tower steady while others climb in or out and lots of turn taking while they play a op up monsters time game). So loads of good stuff but am not what where to take it next!

Guest youngrisers

Spent some considerable time reading your post then thought moving children on into den building is slightly easier if they see imagination and role play in the den. Buy some large builders pegs they are not cheap but a bag contains various sizes and they are stronger grippers. use a variety of different materials our selection varies from see through curtains to heavy complete black cotton materials. even camouflage nets. peg out a small selection and leave the rest laying down on the floor. our children now attempt to peg out the sheets themselves making various hide a ways even draping them over chair or a table makes a good den outside there is more scope as the pegs are robust and can be used on nearly any object trees, sheds even play houses. window stills are a favourite too. The children love recording their own conversations in their den so supply some small recorders we brought some push recorders small accessible even for the smallest hands to use. then play back their conversation, they lead the play by themselves brilliantly. We incorporated dinosaurs, wild animals and puppets to some of the dens making it an animal park, mini beast and even included magnifying glasses and containers so they could watch birds and find live specimen's.

Many thanks for taking time to reply. Some really good ideas to follow here.

Youngrisers- what are the pegs you are referring to could you post me a link please?

Thanks

gretna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)