Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

introducing play to year 1

hi all

I'm FA coordinator and teach in FS. I have been given the project if introducing play into our mixed year 1/2 classes. do any schools have okay in year 1 any tips or advice? what works well? what doesn't etc...

thanks

Lou x

sorry I'm on my Saturday afternoon soap box... I should be very supportive and say best of luck and even more helpful by saying take a look at Trimdon Grange school up in the North East - very inspiring and have a play/creative approach runnning throughout their Infant school. The head from Trimdon presents on some of the courses run at the Huddersfield Early Excellence Centre another amazing place to go to for inspiration.

http://www.trimdongrangeschool.net

• Like 1

oh the cynic in me says why bother... Gove has his agenda even the EYFS is set to say ta ta to play if he stays in :([/quote

What an ugly thought - if and when that should happen I will fight it at our pre school and if I get down graded by Ofsted for it I will know it's my time to retire

• Like 2

I have introduced play into a mixed year 1/2 class last year. You have to be careful if like us your year 2 had never had it as they really don't know how to respond. In the end we came up with a system of musts and cans. The musts were challenges the children must complete and then the cans were a series of extending challenges set within the CP areas of the classroom which required a more hands on approach. The children could then choose which can and which area to use with a maximum of 4 children in each area due to space mainly.

We try and offer 'play experiences' up to our year 2/3 class. Although children think they are playing they do have a clear direction. For example in the Florence Nightingale hospital area children have to follow a different literacy task each week and in the maths challenge area the resources are changed depending on the focus that week. The teacher in there organises her groups so that some are working at tables either independently or adult led and the others are accessing the different 'challenge areas.' So far it is working really well and the teacher has commented that the children are more motivated during their more formal learning because they think that they are having that 'free time' to learn themselves in the different areas. Hope this makes sense?! The system is managed by a group task board so that each group can look on a chart and see which area they are accessing independently each day. Areas include, role play, maths, investigation, reading and creative. Groups range from about 5-6 children.

• Like 1

We try and offer 'play experiences' up to our year 2/3 class. Although children think they are playing they do have a clear direction. For example in the Florence Nightingale hospital area children have to follow a different literacy task each week and in the maths challenge area the resources are changed depending on the focus that week. The teacher in there organises her groups so that some are working at tables either independently or adult led and the others are accessing the different 'challenge areas.' So far it is working really well and the teacher has commented that the children are more motivated during their more formal learning because they think that they are having that 'free time' to learn themselves in the different areas. Hope this makes sense?! The system is managed by a group task board so that each group can look on a chart and see which area they are accessing independently each day. Areas include, role play, maths, investigation, reading and creative. Groups range from about 5-6 children.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)