Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Autumn

Hi everyone, has anyone got any interesting ideas for maths activities based on our Autumn theme. We have thought of the usual sorting and counting conkers, acorns, leaves etc and weighing natural resources but are looking for something a bit different, fun and very hands on especially for those children that are new to the setting and still finding it difficult to join in with adult led activities. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Whilst on the topic fresh ideas for the other 5 areas of learning would also be appreciated. Many thanks.

Hiya

I have bought some small hedgehogs from ikea 69p each, i did buy 10 and made a table top display where they have to find the hedgehogs hiding under plant pots, in kitchen rolls covered in leaves. The children love collecting leaves and then putting them in this display.

also could add some long and short worms ??!!!

charlotte

I have put some tree cuttings outside for them to make dens. They are sycamore and the logs are fairly long and still have branches and leaves on, but they are just about right for two or three childen to work together to carry. We have had some wonderful dens with them also using boxes and milk crates. They found the sycamore keys today and have been throwing them and spinning them, so next week we are going to add making streamers and wind socks out of decorated plastic bags. ( cut open the closed end)

We went on a walk and the children collected leaves and put them in baskets. We took them back to the Nursery and dried them out and then laid them onto laminating paper and laminated sheets of them. We cut round them and then asked the children to 'sort' them. They can think about size, shape and colours. As the leaves are flat and laminated they are easy to handle and stay wonderfully preserved. We have hung some down from the ceiling on invisible thread and they look great. We are now going to do some more and punch holes in them so the children can thread them to make Autumn necklaces.

The laminating is a bit fiddly, especially the tiny leaves, but it is worth the effort. This is definately one we will repeat!!!

Teri

I have bought some small hedgehogs from ikea 69p

charlotte

40336[/snapback]

Was this recently Charlotte? Are they likely to have any more?

I'm always on the lookout for a valid reason to go to Ikea...

Maz

• 6 years later...

I found hedgehog number rhymes in a number sack on amazon that my class have really enjoyed, great for 'playing and exploring' and 'critical thinking'. 1 for adding, 1 for take away and also lots of measuring. I used it as stimulus for maths circle time inititally and then added it to number area, led to lots of problem solving. I now need another one!

http://www.amazon.co...49503941&sr=8-1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)